Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

German Rhine River Valley Railroad (HO)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: German Rhine River Valley Railroad (HO)
    Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 2:42pm
Hi @ all,
had a long phone call today with Rey and he encouraged me to register here and post what I'm doing and like to do. I hope I'm at the right spot because this is the beginning of my "first" home layout construction. I finally know what kind of room size I get for my man cave and I thing that I'm almost close to the final version of what it will become. I have way to much what I like to do so I downsized it to a minimum (I know less is more but can't go less than this)

So here is a short description:

HO German Railroad, Region Rhine River with coal and steel industry from the "Ruhrpot" and a small harbor.
Double Mainline where I can decide for a train to run around or go to the shadow station. Small single branch line for the industries. Controls will be DCC (Z21 with four booster and Software Railroad & Co) over a main dispatcher PC with some touch screens around the layout for local dispatcher to control the branch switches. The software will allow to run trains automatically or manual controlled. Manual control's are over Wi-fi with smart phone or pad. A light control software (DMX protocol) will be used for layout and room lights (day/night cycles etc.). I also will try to implement a Faller car system but did not decided yet what form of digital control system I will use for the cars.

This is the layout so far (click the link below for a larger version)
http://www.7of9.de/pic/RRVRR3_4000.jpg

Click this link to see a 3D CAD Version of the Layout
http://www.7of9.de/pic/RRVRR3_3d.jpg

Any comments, question or constructive critics are welcome.

Markus (RRVRR)

PS: I know I watched to much "Hamburg" videos but what can I say - I'm infected with the MiWuLa Virus when it comes to details & electronics (will stay in the range of my limited abilities)

Edited by RRVRR - 19 Mar 2017 at 12:25pm
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 2:55pm
Two short Youtube videos from the Faller Dance club and the Joe's Town US Movie Production (not finish yet). You will find the location on the layout map.

Dance Club

Joe's Town

Edited by RRVRR - 09 Sep 2014 at 2:57pm
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 5:34pm

WOW, Markus!  Great plan and I envy your space!  I just came back from Hamburg, where I spent 5 1/2 hours going through the Miniatur Wunderland.  I understand the virus.  And yes, you have it bad.  Me, too.

Entry from below....so, is this an attic, or a space over a garage? 

I was just given a large crate of HO stuff, which I haven't had the chance to sort through, yet.  My ambitions are in N scale.  I believe there is some bridge stuff.  If I find anything else that might be useful to you, I'll send you a list.  Since it was free to me, I am talking about a gift, not a sale.  I heartily support your ambitious layout.Clap

Gute Reise,

Gordon

Edited by el Gato Gordo - 10 Sep 2014 at 10:20am
reynauld1963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reynauld1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 7:16pm
WOW, Markus when we spoke on the phone today, I had no idea that you were planning such a large layout.  What are the dimensions of the bench work? 

Thanks for sharing

Rey

BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 12:36am
Hello Markus,

Welcome to the forum.  I can also say wow, this is a great layout plan.  Great modeling in the videos.  I cannot wait to see more pictures of the progress.  If you have any questions I am sure you will find many answers right here.  

Ulrich
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 8:17am
Hi Guys,
thank you so much for the feedback.

@el Gato Gordo (Gordon)
Thank you very much for this generous offer. Please send me a list when you have it ready and we go from there. Last year in November I traveled for two days to Hamburg. The date was scheduled to join the special event "Eine Nacht im Wunderland" (a night at the wonderland). Those events have a visitor limitation to a few hundreds for around four hours, so there was always space in front of the layout and a tour guide was giving you a lot of info's (in German) over the speaker system. The next Day I booked the tour "behind the scenes" and was lucky that Frederick itself was the tour guide. After the tour I only was able to survive for another three hours there because it was so grouted and you have to dig in for a space in the front (no fun). I got a lot of ideas and information out of the visit and hope that I can implement some to my layout.

@ Rey
The layout room is 26x26 ft and it is a room over our new garage. The room is 8ft high so no attic feeling. I didn't have the dimension (sf) for the bench work yet but will post the details here in the future. The software I used is WinTrack (it is also available in English and there was some interest from the Guy to sell it in the US but I took that opportunity down, maybe something for you to distribute)

@ BR42 (Ulrich)
Thanks also to you for the warm welcome. Your wish for more pictures can be fulfilled Wink with my next post.

Edited by RRVRR - 11 Sep 2014 at 10:34am
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 9:36am
Infected by the MiWuLa Airport Virus I had to build something for my layout too. Of course I do not have the space and the time to build something that comes even close to MiWuLa but a small corner in the layout was in need to have a airport scene (left corner on the button of the layout draft). So here are some pictures of my small military airport.

The size is around a queen size bet and a lot of German Military bases have pre-manufactured concrete floor panels. In order to give it a similar look I came up with the idea to use small, thin wood chips (Hobby Lobby has that in different sizes in a bag). So I arranged my buildings and started with gluing down the wood. After everything was in place I used texture spray to get rid of the wood structure. First layer of paint was a dark grey followed by a more concrete color grey and some weathering and sign's of use (see pictures below)

The Airport and how it looks today (still not finish but this comes when he get's his final place). The switch in the front is only for test purpose to switch on the animations like the Radar (scratch build from a pipe and parts out of the scrap box and marker lights in the pipe out of fiberoptics), the plane a Junkers Ju52 (Roco) has all the marker, flashing and interior lights including working propellers and the Helicopter also has the flashing marker lights and both rotors are working. BTW...the motors are out of old cell phones, it is used for the vibration in every phone and is still a bit smaller then the motors for the faller car system. I have to do a video for YouTube.

My Wife don't really like when I spent money for my hobby (sounds familiar to you?) and she loves to save money. She came up with the idea of a military band, so we looked at Preiser and found something. We also found the same band unpainted for much less and she said "I can paint it". Hours later she found the idea not this good anymore LOL  but she did a really good job in my opinion. Almost all of the figures on the airport are painted from her.

What looks great at MiWuLa is the runway so I thought a small section with some lights would look good too. Well around 100 LED's later I was getting mad with myself for such stupid ideas but after I fired it up the work paid of. The white runway light in the middle flashes like the real on, really fast and hard to catch on a picture, it's a flashing sequence of 14 LED's that run by under a second and pause for two seconds before it repeats (I wrote my own program for an Arduino Uno curcuit board). Here are some night shots.

....to be continued Wink

Edited by RRVRR - 13 Feb 2015 at 8:18am
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 9:49am
.....continue.....

Since it took awhile before I can start with the bench work construction I used the opportunity to start building on structures to save time later. I like details and the buildings that are in the foreground needs some special attention and detail so here are more structures that are not just glued together.

Train Station (Faller Schwarzburg)
The lights on the pictures always appear in a blue shine on pictures but those are white LED's.

For the lights I used the original plastic parts from the kit but glued an small LED (1,6x1,0mm) underneath

Glass Factory (Piko)
most kit's don't come with interior so when I place that buildings in the foreground and like to light it up I just have two options, make the glass opaque or build the interior from scratch, most of the time I choose the last option and build some interior especially when the windows are really big. It actually doesn't need much detail because the windows are not like glass and blur the view. The illusion is important.

There is also a smoke generator in the smoke stack.

The crane (Uhlenbrook) is DCC and fully operational

Saw Mill (Faller, animated)
The ground scenery is not finish on all buildings and diorama's I do right now because I blend it in when they got placed on the layout.

Butcher Shop with "Biergarten"

Interlocking Tower (Kibri, Geislingen)
Big windows - nothing for me without interior detail!

I had the idea to show a track plan of that part what the tower are controlling as a big wall display. It also should show which track is free (green) and occupied (red), the switches should be yellow. I used a laser cutter to cut out tiny holes in a small piece of plywood and then I engraved the track plan in a piece of acrylic and overlay both. LED's in the back light up the holes in different colors and two LED's on top of the acrylic piece lights up the track plan (hard to see on the picture).

The wife first kit's she build. She like to do a market scene in the small suburban town on the Rhine river.

Last but not least - I like to see the layout from Preiser perspective so I had to options; shrink or build a camera train. Well, the first option doesn't worked out so I chose option two Wink

The camera is behind the front door window (I used an old DC US engine that I bought on ebay for just $20 because this one has almost nothing in it and enoufg free space in front of the front of the axles and enough space to squeeze in a decoder and the power supply circuit for the camera. Power the cam directly from DCC without filter will not work.

....stay tuned more will follow

Edited by RRVRR - 13 Feb 2015 at 8:23am
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 4:34pm
Markus:

Amazing modelling.  Wonderful job, I love the pictures.

Thanks,

Ulrich
Bundesbahn View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 11:26pm
Hi Markus

Here is a belated 'Welcome to the Forum' from ChooChoo, the Maerklin guy.

I have been with this hobby, off and on, since 1955.

There were a few commercial exhibition layouts I have seen, some of them outright huge. Too many people doing too much. Whatever!

As far as a private household is concerned, your layout takes the cake, by far.

My wife is also sharing the hobby with me. She is less concerned about the money involved. Oh well!

I really like your approach to model photography. By far, not everyone knows how to do that, I do know.

Please, contact me via e-mail: rowyheid@charter.net

Roger Heid (ChooChoo)

Forum Moderator
Blog Administrator

Edited by Choo Choo - 13 Sep 2014 at 11:28pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic