Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bardowick in H0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 10:39am
Hey Markus,

I have done several experiments with left over track before I finally figured the best way for me.
The Koemo ballast is real stone, the Woodland only weight half per same volume. I mix them by volume. I just "dump" the ballast on the track and you a good quality paint brush to spread it evenly.
Since you do not model a main line where trains reach 160kph, you do not need to pay as much attention do get a flex glue. The best mixture for not flex, hardening ballast glue is a mix of 1oz liquid dish washer soap, 4oz wood glue and 12oz water. As you can see, the liquid soad is more then just a drop, but it works very well. Also use syringe 10ml, without the needle. Drip slowly and the start point, once the mixture starts soaking in, it will "suck" itself thru the ballast.

I will make a video later to show you how nice that actually works.

Br

Leif

RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 10:51am
Right now I do not have a high speed mainline but when you take a look at my layout you will see that I have a lot of mainline to do where my ICE Trains are running. A good looking track work is from importance to me as well.

What you are using as "flex glue"?
Model Train Projects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 10:57am
Hey Markus,

the only flex glue available in the market right now is the Koemo flex glue, it is pretty expensive and only available from Germany ( They ship to US ). I developed a mix and I'm working on to put that out on the market myself, so I'm not able to tell you that mixture. If I got it that far ( Long time testing ), then Reynauld's would be the place to buy it from. I'm using that for about 6 month now and it should be available in Spring.

Br

Leif
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 12:26pm
Leif,
the glue is one thing but I guess the ballast will make a big difference. I already ordered a liter R10 and 500ml flex glue from Koemo. I looked at so many places here in the US to find anything that comes close to the German ballast used at the prototype but I was unsuccessful. Jens from Vampisol (Germany) has also real stone for ballast in his shop but I can't remember the price right now out of my head.

I'm not so picky with the glue my main concern is that it has to work in the way I can handle it. If it is a combination of both, then of course glue comes important. For my layout I need a lot of glue because I will have around 150m (450 ft) of visible track. According to Koemo 500ml of there glue will last around 15m (45ft), you do the calculation Wink

I'm always open for new products....!!!!
Thanks for the help.

Edited by RRVRR - 09 Sep 2015 at 11:52pm
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:24pm
Hello:

I am not so concerned about the noise reduction, so I use Elmer's glue thinned down with a few drops of dishwater detergent.  One of the advantages is that it can easily be dissolved by wetting it.

Ulrich

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:31pm
Hey All,

A short video of the ballast glue application, took with cell phone, and yes, I forgot to turn it sideways to get a better view on a regular screen ;) I held the phone in one hand and did the application with the other, so it is not as stable as it is with both hands for the application, but I think you can get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCfW35ERmt8&feature=youtu.be

Br

Leif 

Edited by Model Train Projects - 20 Feb 2015 at 1:32pm
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2015 at 12:29pm
Hi Leif,
thanks for sharing - I do it the same way but might not be this patience of waiting until it spreads out and I'm further away from the surface. I will try it and let you know the progress.

Markus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 10:39pm
Hey All

In the summertime there is not much time for the model railroad, so it's a slow progress on the layout. I used most of the time for testing and tweaking.

I replaced the very simple Viessmann exit signal 69' style with the new one from Märklin, it fits the Erbert 59'er much better :)

Furthermore I started building the platform 3, I'm not sure yet if I'll leave it that way.

Started to build the "Ladestrasse", in the background yoiu can see my first castings for the road, but I'll need some more practice  :oops:

Platform 3 seen from the not yet present platform 1

Platform 1 edge stones, patched the same way as the prototype, according to pictures.

And  a little "build", double track locks, operated like the prototype by moving the handle.

The main reason for the slow progress, the control :)

RocRail under construction, I initially just wanted a simple time based control, well things are changing, now I got a "Gleisbildstellwerk"  :fool:

Nevertheless, I took my time to let some trains run. ( Also to test the control and stopping sections.

https://youtu.be/ZPm6ED1bbb4

https://youtu.be/1Y63-qiKkaM

Br

Leif
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 6:53pm
Hallo Leif,
the weathering of the tracks and the tiles looking good too, are the tiles a printout or a time consuming weathering job?

I would love to run trains around like you do but I have to build my layout in section because next year I have to extend my man cave to include the porch and make it part of the room.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2015 at 10:29pm
Hey Markus,

thanks for you reply.

The tiles are the Bush "Gewegplatten" cardboard sheets. They are already printed with the tiles, but I did the final touch of weathering. But I also got molds to cast a "Gewegplatten" section. That one is 3 dimensional, with groves, etc. So I will play around with that and see what I will like better.

Br

Leif
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic