Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Layout Showcase
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bardowick in H0

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bardowick in H0
    Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 3:41pm
Hello,

I thought I would share my current layout build here, I build the Bf. Bardowick in Germany in the 1980's. I do have the original track layout plan from the DB, thats makes it way easier to build it as close to the original as possible.

But enough said, let pictures speak:

Simple 2x4' wood contruction

The staging area segments are hung underneath the "surface"

Took a little brain power to figure out the helixes:

No 1 done:

In addition, the 2nd one got a branchline coming off:

Since I was quite happy with my segments, I decided to built them in larger amounts:

The beginning of the staging area, I "recycled" old Roco line track:

Accessory decoder are Zimo MX820, to protect the decoder outputs, I decided to use a relay block to switch the coil switch machines:

Now I forgot to take pictures, so a big jump:

Laying track in the station area:

Staging, the electrical is getting started:

While concentrating on the electrical, I forgot once again to take pictures, so now we jump to the present state:

This is how it looks on the "surface":

Layout overview:

[img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3875/15052070870_1fc740fca5_b.jpg[/img]

At the end a little "highlight".

I was able to run the first train on the layout, the honor had my Christmas present my grandpa gave me 1986, Fleischmann 218 and 3 "silverfish". I won't use those in the future, I got all 1:87 scale cars for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9icwD_6Pw8&list=UUU6wDhcHjDaVHCkHicvnP7w

Br

Leif

Edited by Model Train Projects - 10 Oct 2014 at 3:51pm
el Gato Gordo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote el Gato Gordo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2014 at 5:05pm

Great work, Leif!  As one who is planning a larger layout, with helixes, the photographic progression is quite instructional. 

One idea I am considering is a spiral helix, drawn by winding a string around a 1" dowel with a pencil tied to the loose end of the string.  Starting at a 10" radius (N scale), draw circles as the string unwinds.  This gives about a 3" wide base, and allows the trains to emerge from tunnels or appear in arcades as the train climbs or descends the mountains.  And no joints in the plywood.

The video was outstanding - very steady with the camera!

Gute Reise,

Gordon

reynauld1963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reynauld1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 4:33pm
Great job. Leif!!  The layout is coming along nicely.

Danke,

Reynauld
michaelrose55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelrose55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 7:43pm
Very well done and nice video!
Michael
Model Train Projects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 9:55pm
Hello All,

time for a little update. I got all the electronics tweaked in and use hall sensors for train switch control, they are mounted beside the rail and triggered by a magnet I installed in the INDUSI of each loco. Here some pictures:

Delay timer for the switch, it falls automatically back after the time elapsed

DCC Concepts Cobalt switch machine drive:

Zimo MX820Y on PCB for switching turnouts in the staging area:

Zimo MX820Y to control two light signals:

I also put ballast down and aged the tracks:

Weinert switch motor dummy:

To be continued..... :)

Br

Leif

reynauld1963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reynauld1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 6:40am
Leif the weathered and ballasted track looks great, very professional.  Who makes the ballast and did you blend a few colors together.

Thanks

Rey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 9:03pm
Hey Rey,

I use a mix of Woodland Medium grey and Koemo R10 ballast on the main tracks and Woodland Medium grey and Koemo R15 on the side tracks. I will use Koemo R20 for unused and/or abandoned tracks. I use a self mixed fully flexible ballast glue, means it's not hardening, so I won't have a sound conducting ballast, very important when modelling main lines.

Br

Leif
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 6:07am
Leif:

It looks great.  How does painting the rack affect the reliability of power pick up.  I have been toying with the idea, but have rejected it so far because I am concerned that it will cause problems in spite of cleaning the top.

Thanks,

Ulrich 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 10:46pm
Hey Ulrich,

there is no problem with the current pick up at all. On the pictures I haven't cleaned the rails yet. I use a #0 brush for it, you will seldom even touch the top surface.

Br

Leif
RRVRR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RRVRR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 7:54am
Leif,
it looks nice, just the hell of a long station Wink

btw....I still have problems with ballast my track. Whenever I spread it out and try to add glue the ballast is moving and jumping around like crazy. I read a lot of articles on this with adding a drop of dish soap, alcohol etc. I also bought "real stone" ballast what is much heavier but it does not really fix my problem. Right now I really do not feel comfortable to do my tracks.

If you like to share your way would be nice. 

Edited by RRVRR - 20 Feb 2015 at 8:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic