Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Digital Trains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fleischmann decoders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chadox78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fleischmann decoders
    Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 3:14pm
Hi all. I have just started out in DCC and so far all my locos that I have bought were DCC ready. But if I buy a Loco without a decoder how do I know which one to get? I am referring to fleischmann n scale. Do a lot of different locos use the same decoder?
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 4:34pm
Hello Chadox:

You can use any NMRA-DCC compatible decoder with your Fleischmann system.  Of course, Fleischmann may provide decoders that fit in their locos, but with other brands you need to somewhat creative.  Fitting a decoder in an N-scale engine may somewhat challenging.  TCS and Digitrax offer very small Z-scale and N-scale decoders that you can use.  Do not worry about the Z-scale label, these decoders are powerful to be used in Ho-scale locos.

Ulrich
Railwriter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Railwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 12:04am
If your locos are DCC ready, it means that they have a plug-in interface, which currently has a jumper plug installed, if there is no decoder.  The important question is what type of interface the locos have.  There are several standard interfaces, such NEM 651 and NEM 652.  (These are standards that are agreed to by all manufacturers of both models and decoders.)

I model HO, but it is my understanding that the most common inteface for N is NEM 651, which is a six-pin plug.  (Many HO models use an NEM 652 interface, which is an 8-pin plug.)

While it is possible to adapt decoders to different types of connectors, you would need a really good reason for doing so.

So, if your locos have a 651 connector, any decoders with a 651 plug should work.  (You need to make sure the plug is properly oriented when inserted.)

Different decoders have different features.  Life is a lot simpler if you install the same types of decoders where possible as the available features will be the same.

By the way, most modern decoders will still work fine in analog, so you can install decoders and continue to run your locomotives on your analog setup until you are ready to convert to digital.

-- Ernest

Model Train Projects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 10:19pm
Hello,

Some N scale locos need direct plug NEN651 decoders, other with a harness. I recommend Zimo Dekoders, since those are the smallest decoders for N scale available. Zimo is the OEM Decoder manufacturer of the more recent Roco and Fleischmann locos.

I installed a lot Decoders, also in new Kato N scale locos, which do not have any interface. It can be done, if not sure, just ask :) Take pictures of the inside of the loco and post them here, then I can tell you which way to go.

Br

Leif
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic