Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Large Scale Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

KM1 / Marklin Controller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 6:01am
Hello:

The good thing about the Marklin system is that it is a ready packaged system, which just needs to be plugged into the wall.  On the other hand, the Digitrax system is highly flexible in the sense that it does not comes with its own power pack.  One needs to purchase this part for the electric system used.  In Tony's case, a simple transformer 230V to 15V  plus two fuses would do the job (If one does not know how to wire it, one just needs to have an electrician do the job).

Ulrich
nitramretep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nitramretep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 7:42am
I appreciate your comments and now understand the limitations of the Mobile Unit, however the other issues I noted should be brought to Maerklin's attention; they need to invest in translations(the track layout CD/DVD for instance) , the correct conversion of mm to awg wiring and many other areas such as the posting of 230vac inputs when it is not readily available in the US (at the correct Hz). The specifications in general need cleaning up to make clearer the requirements and limitations of same. Time to get off my soap box!
Peter M.
Bundesbahn View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 9:13am
Peter

#1: The Maerklin CS2 comes with connect wires of the proper gauge.

#2: Reynaulds is an international dealer. They sell items to customers in countries where 230 V 50 Hz is the standard household current.

#3: Google awg to mm conversion chart. There are several posts that have a readily available chart.

#4: Maerklin has an HO Track Planning Book in English text. The part number is: 07451
Currently, they not offer any CDs and DVDs anymore.

#5: Please, feel free to bring your concerns to Maerklin's attention. Their e-mail address is: service@maerklin.de
They can read English. I have exchanged e-mails with them. It is worth a try.

Edited by Choo Choo - 20 Jan 2015 at 10:00am
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 5:54pm
Peter:

The frequency of the household power supply has no affect, since it will be rectified and smoothed out.

Ulrich 
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 7:52pm
One correction to Ulrich's statement.

The Maerklin System is NOT a ready packaged system. You need to purchase the power supply separately. If you choose the Maerklin CS2 as your control station, you need to get the Switch Mode Power Pack #60065 which is rated for 120 V AC input and has an output of 19 Volts at 50 VA. This is when you live in the US.

In a country that uses 220-240 Volt 50 Hz as standard household current, you will need the power pack 60061, instead. I definitely do NOT recommend the use of just any 230 V to 15 V transformer. Firstly, 15 Volt is not quite enough oomph to bring the CS2 to full fruition. If the "simple" transformer is not a regulated switch mode type supply, you can easily put your precious CS2 into jeopardy. Not a good thing.
I realize that these Maerklin items are rather expensive, but they do work and are easy to use and hook up. No electrician required.

If, in addition, you operate a Scale 1 layout with multiple locomotives, you will also need the booster 60174. If necessary, you may need to power the booster with an additional 60061 or 60065, respectively, depending on your household current.

As Ulrich correctly stated, the AC input frequency (50 or 60 Hz) is irrelevant, for this purpose.

From hereon in, the choice is totally up to the user. In either case, Maerklin or Digitrax, you can't go wrong. The Maerklin system may just be easier to operate. It largely depends what you are trying to with it. It can do everything the Digitrax does, I'm quite sure.
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 6:02am
Hello:

I agree with Roger that the Maerklin system can do anything the Digitrax can, but both are very easy to set up.  However, the Digitrax does not need a special transformer.  It can be fed with either AC or DC.  If one uses DC, then the input voltage and the output voltage are almost identical.  With AC, the output voltage is about 1.4 times that of the input minus 1.5V (peak of the AC waive minus loss through the bridge rectifier).   Wiring a 220V transformer is not very difficult as long as one knows what one is doing.  However, anyone unfamiliar with high voltage electric wiring should not mess with it and hire an electrician.

Ulrich

Edited by BR42 - 21 Jan 2015 at 6:08am
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 7:06am
Clarification:

The only time you need a 230/240 Volt transformer (power pack) is when you live in a country where 220/240 V is household standard. (see Maerklin #60061) This one you simply plug in without the assistance of an electrician.

Addendum: Use of the 60061 (220/240 V) actually boosts the output of the CS2 to 5A, as compared to the 120 V version (#600650), only 3A.

One can easily use this option by getting a step-up transformer (not expensive). This step-up transformer converts the 120V input to 240 V output. It also simply plugs into the wall outlet.

I know of people who chose that route. If you have questions about that, just ask. We will get you the answers.
Model Train Projects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 8:08pm
Hello All,

the CS2 is definitively a nice station, but also very unstable, touch screen, boot up time, software flaws, sudden shut downs, aso. I'm on German model train forums and it's not the first choice, even not for Maerklin collectors. The digitrax is simple, turns on in a few seconds, nice throttles which lay good in the hand and thanks to the open loconet, very easy to extend. very simple and cheap throttle available.
Also, the with the CS2, it is not possible to reach all 28 DCC functions, it can handle up to 20 as far as I know. The Digitrax can access all of them very easy and self explaining.
Plus, excellent support world wide, Maerklin is very slow in the service. ( Try getting spare parts for loco's, sometimes wait for 1 year ! )

Br

Leif
tonymorony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonymorony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 11:38pm
Hi Leif, Roger ChooChoo, Ulrich and Peter,
A huge THANKYOU for all of your efforts on my behalf as I consider how to power my KM1 locos digitally.
As I have only a Marklin Mobile Station and not a Central Station the Marklin route seems to be a bit compromised with the Digitrax SuperChief 8amp more straightforward and more powerful. Digitrax appears less expensive too. Digitrax is available in NZ through an authorised dealer so backup should be good - that is fairly compelling. So is the Digitrax wireless controller.
Your various learned inputs to the discussion are very much appreciated.
Thankyou to Reynaulds for hosting such a forum.
Cheers,
Tony
reynauld1963 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote reynauld1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 7:57am
Dear Tony;

Last year we ran our KM1 locomotives in the store with several common DCC systems and they were all under powered when running mutiple locomotives.  We wrote Km1 and they explained to us that they had the same issues and that is why they had a system designed for them.  The KM1 control 7 is what they recommend, click here to view http://km-1.de/html/system_control.html  This system has an integrated booster that puts out 7 amps, you can also add wireless infrared handheld controllers.  For all our forum readers that are not familiar with KM1 locomotives please click on the link below, we made a great new video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmZe4a9ggP8

Thanks

Reynauld
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic