Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Large Scale Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

KM1 / Marklin Controller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonymorony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: KM1 / Marklin Controller
    Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 3:27pm
I have a couple of KM1 locos (BR50 and BR23) and have only used them in DC operation. Superb!

Regarding Digital Operation:
Does anyone have any experience with using the Marklin Mobile Station (that I already have for HO with 60113 digital connector box) and the 60112 Digital connector box for 1 scale and whether it works well?

Cheers,
Tony
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 4:38pm
Tony:

If the command station produces a signal which the decoder understand, then there is not theoretical problem.  Since the Maerklin Stations can produce a DCC signal, one should be fine.  The problem is the output.  You may need a booster which provides enough power to run the big locos.  3A may be cutting it close.

Ulrich
Model Train Projects View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Model Train Projects Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 9:07pm
Hey Tony,

the Mobile station is dev. too weak to power all bells and whistles of the KM1 loco, even one would overload it ( It just puts out 1.9A ). You might want to look into some neat 1 scale DCC stations, like the Digitrax super chief.
5A is the standard, that should be good if you run one loco at a time, if you go 8A, you are all good to run them both. I wouldn't go any higher in amps, if your layout is getting bigger and you like to run more locos, add another 8A booster.

Note: Never use the 8A boosters or station to run the H0 layout, if there is a contact problem with one of your locos, those power will melt your locos or coaches into one plastic block ! Check out Google, there are some pictures of destroyed H0 loco's by a 10A booster. ( I do run 4x 3A booster on my H0 layout ).

Edit: some additional info

Br

Leif

Edited by Model Train Projects - 16 Jan 2015 at 9:10pm
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2015 at 9:41pm
Leif and Tony:

I have the Digitrax DCS200 which delivers 8A short time.  It is only marginal more expensive than a DCS100 which rated at 5A.  I am very satisfied with it, and would highly recommend it for I scale.  Since I model in HO scale, I use a Digitrax PM42 power manager which has four outputs.  I divided the layout into two power districts and a reversing loop.  The power of each district is limited to 4A.  The third output limits the reversing loop to 3A, and the fourth output operates as a reversing unit for the loop.

Ulrich

Edited by BR42 - 16 Jan 2015 at 9:45pm
tonymorony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonymorony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 12:28am
Thanks Ulrich. I am still getting to know things about 1 scale. Your comment is helpful. I will investigate further.
Cheers, Tony
tonymorony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonymorony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2015 at 12:32am
Thanks Leif. I will investigate DIGITRAX as suggested. Thank you very much for your helpful comments as I get to grips with 1 gauge. Cheers, Tony.
Bundesbahn View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 5:28am
Hello Tony

If you should choose to stick with Maerklin equipment, there is a rather expensive way to go about this.

You would need three items.

#1: Central Station 2 (60215)
#2: Power Supply (60061)
#3: Booster (60174)

This will work just fine. You enter the locomotive address into the CS2, and take it from there. It will take a bit of an effort to learn the navigation of the CS2, but the instruction manual is quite helpful.

Check it out.
nitramretep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nitramretep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 7:18pm
The Mobile Controller only puts out 1.9amps? That's way too low for any reasonable size layout with more than I running engine! I was told the Mobile was a good alternative to buying the CS2....what gives? Marklin is not exactly clear regarding the technical specs on their digital hardware. I get the Insider publications and reading everything I can get hold of yet the there is far too little information as regards the tech specs. An example of tech spec information is the suggestion of using .5mm cable for the power booster, try specifying that cable anywhere here! Do they mean 22awg or 18awg solid or stranded? To be frank I am very hesitant to invest $1,000.00 or a little less on the CS 2 (plus the booster it MUST have) until I get a definitive explanation of the tech requirements. As an electrical engineer I find Marklin a little less than lucid regards to actual requirements and functions when it comes to USA users. Choo Choo's list of hardware includes a power supply that is 230VAC on the primary input!
Peter M.
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 9:40pm
Hello,

I would stick with the Digitrax, great service, good customer relations.  Have a  fixed price for fixing items.  The street price for a 8A Super Chief (DCS200 with throttle) is $380, you can get a 20A power supply for 150 so for about $530 you ready to go.  If you want to add a second power district, a 8A booster DB200 booster is about $160.  Moreover, the power supply can run the booster and the command station.

Ulrich
Bundesbahn View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2015 at 11:49pm
Peter

The information given to Tony takes two things into consideration.

#1: Tony lives in New Zealand. There the household current is 240 Volts.
    The Maerklin power supply I quoted is rated for that.

#2: The KM1 Locomotives Tony describes are Large Scale (G-Scale). They    
    are much larger and heavier than HO Scale models. That is why the     
    booster is needed.

If you run HO Scale, you don't really need the booster. I use the CS2 myself. I can easily run 4 locos simultaneously, no matter how big they are. I do not recommend to run more than 4 trains at the same time, anyway. But I did run 6 trains without a problem.

The Mobile Station (MS2) was never intended for use with large layouts and multiple trains. It is an inexpensive simplified station geared for beginners and/or small layouts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic