Reynauld's Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Topics > Digital Trains > AC Digital Trains
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turnout controls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoPac1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turnout controls
    Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 3:00pm
I am currently using the Mobil Station and manual switches.

I would like to put electric power on some switches first using the control boxes, then moving some switches to DCC controlled by a Central startion, some switches electric with the control boxes and some just manual.

What power source do I use on stage one, just electric motors and control box?  Will it also power a Central Station?

Thanks in advance.

Charlie
Bundesbahn View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 5:56pm
Hello Charles

Welcome to our forum.

For stage one, any power pack with a 12-15 Volt AC output and at least 1 Amp will do.

For the Central Station you need the Maerklin Power Pack #60065. Don't use anything else unless you know all about electricity and some electronics.

What is the power pack you are currently using ? How soon do you plan on getting the Central Station?

Edited by Choo Choo - 12 Feb 2015 at 6:09pm
BR42 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BR42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 7:36pm
Hello Charles:

I would skip the intermediate stage, and go directly to control via stationary decoders.  Wiring the switches will be a lot of work since two wires have to go from each switch to the control box, another one to a bus wire.  All this work becomes wasted once you go to the final stage.  The same holds for the control boxes. 

Ulrich

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2015 at 10:20pm
Hi Charles

Now there is another question.

Are you using C-track or K-track?
MoPac1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoPac1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:03pm
C track
Charlie
MoPac1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoPac1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:04pm
Currently using Mobile Station, not sure about Central Station timing but it sure gets good reviews.
Charlie
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bundesbahn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:55pm
Hi Charlie

If you are planning to buy the CS2 I would get the 60065 power pack now and use the power supply you already have for the turnouts. That would be one good way to go about it.

Whether one controls switches with analog control boxes or digital decoders is strictly a matter of personal choice.

The nice thing about C tracks is that you can install the Maerklin made decoder right under the road bed and connect them to the switch motor.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic