Forum Description: Pictures and Descriptions of Members Layouts
URL: http://forum.reynaulds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1076
Printed Date: 21 Nov 2017 at 11:40am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.17 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: N Scale Layout: Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Posted By: el Gato Gordo
Subject: N Scale Layout: Rheinland Bayern Bahn
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 1:01pm
I've been building a new layout to take to train shows.  The layout is 4' x 9.5', and incorporates generic scenes from the Rheinland, Bayern, & Schwarzwald.  No particular location or railyard is represented.  Under the hill I built a U-Bahnhof for my staging area, with plenty of lighting and, unlike the last set, plenty of hand room.

After two visits to the Miniatur Wunderland, I was inspired to install buttons for kid/spectators to push to activate scenes on the set.  Push-buttons include a house fire, a carnival, a dragon's cave, music for the Biergarten, station announcement for the U-Bahnhof, and (in the future) a salt mine like that in Halstatt.  The Faller bus system generates a lot of interest as well.

​Okay, I am having trouble posting photos from my DropBox account, so here is a link to the folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4fimu7uicznmukn/AACsb5F97istxc3n4QGJifRoa?dl=0" rel="nofollow - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4fimu7uicznmukn/AACsb5F97istxc3n4QGJifRoa?dl=0

There is much construction still to do: finishing a Schwarzwald scene in the upper right, finishing the outlying fortifications and buildings of Schloss Lichtenstein upper left, installing street lights and signals where needed, just to name the major projects.

Time for a beer and a brat!  Cheers!
Gord

Replies:
Posted By: Railwriter
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2015 at 1:31pm
Gord,

Thanks for sharing the photos.

For what it's worth:  The page in the above link did not work with the older version IE browser that I have as the default browser on my laptop.

It did work just fine with Google Chrome, which I also have on the laptop.

-- Ernest

Posted By: RRVRR
Date Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 12:07pm
Gord, this looks great....we have a lot in common...lol

-------------
best, Markus

http://forum.reynaulds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=901&title=rhine-river-valley-railroad-ho" rel="nofollow - my layout - click here

Posted By: reynauld1963
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 6:01pm
Nice job Gord,hope to get to see it in person one day

Thanks

Rey

Posted By: BR42
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 6:36am
Gordon:

Welcome to the Forum.  Looks very nice, great modelling job.  I very much enjoyed the layout.

Ulrich

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 9:02am
Ulrich, Gordon is not new here Wink (welcome to the Forum)

-------------
best, Markus

http://forum.reynaulds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=901&title=rhine-river-valley-railroad-ho" rel="nofollow - my layout - click here

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 12:11pm
S'okay! Good to know I'm still welcome!

Cheers,
Gordon

Date Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 5:01pm
Inspired by some of the bawdy scenes at MiWuLa, I added this N scale scene:

Cheers,
Gordon

Posted By: BR42
Date Posted: 14 Nov 2015 at 9:38pm
Unhappy I wrote: Gordon:

Welcome to the Forum.  Looks very nice, great modelling job.  I very much enjoyed the layout.

UlrichEmbarrassed

Gordon,

Sorry, I had a different name in mind when I read your posting.  Mental short circuit, decoder burnt out.

Ulrich

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2015 at 7:58am
Not to worry, Ulrich!  I'm not easily offended.  Try harder!  LOL

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2015 at 8:46am
I have to build on too....love it

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2015 at 11:10am
I've been working on the Landwehr Brauerei at the back of the set.  Since the layout is to be viewed from 360°, I get to go into detail anywhere I desire.

Brauerei:

And a solar array to power it:

Had to do the solar array, and more panels elsewhere, since Germany is the world's leader in development and use of solar energy.  Imagine, with as few sunny days as they have, compared to Colorado (for example) which averages 350+ sunny days per year!

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 6:51am
On my previous layout I had the Faller model of Schloss Lichtenstein.  As I was planning this new layout I was looking at Google Maps and discovered that there is much more to the Schloss than comes with the kit.  So, after much image research, I built the outlying fortifications out of extruded foam:

Though advertised as N scale, I believe the Faller kit is Z scale, so I built the outbuildings accordingly.  This necessitated the removal of a clearly N scale house, leaving a space which I filled with a formal garden (which, of course, does not exist at Lichtenstein).

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 23 Jun 2016 at 7:26pm
To celebrate the Phoenix-like rebirth of the Forum, I offer Schrebergärten (Kleingärten):

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 2:45pm
Krunkelbachhütte bei Bernau im Schwarzwald - the perfect stop on a long hot August hike:

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 1:50pm
Hard to imagine that this is N-Scale, I already need good readers and magnifier glasses for HO LOL

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 3:21pm
OCD.  My idea of a good time is doing N scale Biersteins & stemmed wineglasses.

Sigh....
Gordon

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 8:07am
LOLLOLLOL
Please show it to us If you do it

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 10:17am
Well, if you insist.  In the Biergarten, when a spectator pushes a button, the band plays music and there are Biergarten (conversation) sounds for 30 seconds:

I don't currently have good close-ups and my photography skills leave something to be desired, but here is the Weinstube:

I realize that these may be better proportioned to HO, but I'm still pondering the problem...

Cheers - the sun is over the yard arm somewhere -
Gordon

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 12:24pm
It's amazing that this is N-Scale, you need an even bigger magnifier glass then I do LOL

One little detail I noticed that looks a little bit art is the big light on the house, this might be soemthing out of HO Scale. If this would be smaller it almost would look like a real picture.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2016 at 5:51pm
Yeah, Brawa claims it is N scale, but if you know of one that is better proportioned to 1:160, please let me know - I have other places I would use them, too!  The nice thing about model railroading - the layout is never "done."

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 11:04am
Yes, that is a big problem and I assume the one from Brawa for HO has the same size Disapprove
I hate when I buy stuff labeled for HO or 1/87 and when I got it to figure is not in scale.

I honestly didn't find any lights in that style that would look good in HO or even for N Scale. They are all to big. I used some lights that came with the kit as decoration and attached tiny SMD Led's to it but even those are to big in my opinion (see picture).

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 11:47am
This is a test of how well photos are uploading.  And, by the way, the pic was taken at the Forney Transportation Museum Train Show, before the show opened.  After opening, there was no time for pics!

It took 56 seconds for the URL Box to be completed. Then it only was another 12 seconds to complete the posting of the photo.

Cheers, amigos!
Gordon

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 7:49am
I just realized that I had not done an update in a while.  I've been enjoying everyone else's photos! So first, here are some spectators enjoying burning down the house on my layout at the Rocky Mountain Region NMRA Convention.  As usual, it is the only Euro layout and the only one that has pushbuttons for the spectators:

I've been working on the U-Bahnhof, my staging area.  The escalators are by Ngineer, available on Shapeways; added signage and raised the clearances on the balconies so I could run with the pantos up.

And this isn't much, but I added much needed guard rails to the road.  Guard rails again by Ngineer, via Shapeways.  Erik is very helpful when I need something that is not available elsewhere.

Cheers!
Gordon

Posted By: michaelrose55
Date Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:00am
Gordon, those escalators look fantastic!

-------------
Michael

Date Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 8:21am
Thanks, Michael, but all credit to Erik (Ngineer) for doing custom heights on escalators, stairs, and reducing manufacturers' specs to 1:160 on the guard rails!  He is a great guy with whom to work.

Cheers!
G

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 2:32pm
I blame this on Michael....LOL  (Thanks, Michael!)  He keeps building and building.....  So I finally had to start a staging area off to one side of my portable layout.  Since I take the layout to shows, the new bit had to be detachable, and adjustable for height.  It is 24" by 64" - to fit available space, and has wheels on one end so I can get it out of the way when the main layout goes to shows.  I used a turnbuckle system to make the height adjustment on the wheel end:

This is my progress thus far:

It is not intended tp be a prototypical "yard," but I will put a Bahnhof in there and scenic it a bit, simply because I cannot bear to leave it bare.  And yes, this project is fueled by the giant bag of Weingummis on the far end of the yard!

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 24 Dec 2016 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by el Gato Gordo el Gato Gordo wrote:

I blame this on Michael....LOL  (Thanks, Michael!)  

Cheers!
Gordon
Gordon, don't worry, I can take it Big smile! It would be easier though if I had one of these big bags of Weingummy...

Merry Christmas!

-------------
Michael

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:18am
Some progress photos of my layout extension. 

I assembled my track, rearranging until I got the most storage vs scenery that I could, leaving room for a Bahnhof.  I marked the outline on the blue foam, then glued down Woodland Scenics foam roadbed and foam sheets. I masked around the foam, and also masked across, where the sliding bar for the points will be.

I reassembled the track once again, and detached the little spurs from the straight line of turnouts.  Lifted the line of turnouts, and liberally applied Elmer's to the roadbed.  At that point I removed the masking tape from the points areas.  Then I laid the first stretch of track, aligned it, and sprinkled fine gray ballast over the glued area.  A couple of flat boards with a little weight kept everything pressed nice and evenly.  When dry, I vacuumed the loose ballast and removed the rest of the tape.

I will touch up the side of the roadbed at the points with a brush and carefully applied ballast.  Later today I hope to lay and ballast the rest of the track.

Just thinking about ballasting Michael's layout made my eyes cross.  I figured there had to be an easier way to ballast than waiting until all the track is laid!  As it is, my ballast is not quite deep enough, not coming to the tops of the sleepers, but I think it will do.

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 02 Jan 2017 at 7:52am

Just thinking about ballasting Michael's layout made my eyes cross.  I figured there had to be an easier way to ballast than waiting until all the track is laid!  As it is, my ballast is not quite deep enough, not coming to the tops of the sleepers, but I think it will do.

Cheers!
Gordon
Gordon,

When I'm ready to start ballasting I'll send you an invitation... Big smile!

-------------
Michael

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 8:18am
Originally posted by michaelrose55 michaelrose55 wrote:

Cheers!
Gordon
Gordon,

When I'm ready to start ballasting I'll send you an invitation... Big smile!

Yes, he has a lot of hours "fun" waiting for him.

Nice addition btw.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 03 Jan 2017 at 2:19pm
Thanks, Markus.  So there I was, ballasting.  Spreading glue, laying track, and the bag of fine gray ballast came up empty....  No problem, I have a spare!   Somewhere.  Now where did I leave that.  Had to remove the track that I had laid and let the glue dry.

As it turned out, I did NOT have a spare bag of ballast.

I picked up a new bag during a trip to town today and finished the job.  After everything is thoroughly dry, I'll vacuum the loose stuff and do touch up with a brush.  Then install the Faller Bahnhofshalle 22127.  Also planning a replica of the Miniature Wunderland, open on one end, showing some of the "layout."  Should be fun depicting an HO layout at 1:160!

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 11:12am
I've made a bit of progress since my last photos. The track is laid and mostly ballasted. Simultaneously I've been working on the Bahnhofshalle in the nice warm house on the few days that it has been too cold to work on the layout out in the barn.

Here is the center Bahnsteig set in place, showing some of the details:

And the unpopulated Bahnhofshalle.  I've left several window panes out in the center, on both sides, for better viewing of interior details:

We have the Thalys departing Gleis 5, to complete its journey to Frankfurt Hbf. The Regiobahn is obviously on the wrong track.

None of the structures have been fixed in place, since there is still much to do.  Adding ties where the flex track is joined is one chore, for example.  Improving the ballasting is another.

I probably won't install catenary in this section, since this is my staging area and I would like to have unimpeded hand access.  But one never knows....

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 12:57pm
Gordon, 

you should come and visit me again and turn my ugly staging yard into something beautiful as well Wink!

-------------
Michael

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2017 at 2:49pm
Gordon, looks good Wink

-------------
best, Markus

Posted By: Btcaub
Date Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 11:40am
Your layout is truly inspiring.

-------------
Nachtzug

Date Posted: 05 Feb 2017 at 7:08pm
Very kind of you (all) to say so.  Just having fun!

So I've added the ticket machines and the ticket validation machines:

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 9:45am
I'm always amazes me that this is N-Scale. I already need thick glasses to work on HO Wink

-------------
best, Markus

Posted By: Model Train Projects
Date Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:09pm
Hey Gordon,

I really like the Bahnhofshalle, and I'm with Markus, all those details in there, billboards and Fahrkartenautomat, all in N scale. I got a question regarding the track you are using, is that code 70 ? It seems fairly high on the pictures.

-------------
Br

Leif

Date Posted: 06 Feb 2017 at 5:55pm
Hey, Leif

The tracks are Peco code 80, so yes, they are a bit tall.   If I ever get to build a permanent layout I'll switch to Peco code 55 for the visible areas.

Cheers!
Gord

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 9:40pm
Just got home from the Denver Train Show.  It was mobbed!  Had crowds around the layout the entire weekend, I could barely get access myself to switch turnouts to change trains.  Best part, met a bunch of new friends interested in German model railroading.

A lot of fun, but I'm exhausted!

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 11:46pm
Hello Gordon,

Great to see your photos -- and that the show was well attended.  This also looks like a good venue for this type of event.

Last November, I went to check out one of the major train shows in our area -- one at which I used to sell some of my photos, self-published book, postcards, etc. over a number of years -- and was really disappointed in a number of ways.

No, I didn't expect to see any European equipment -- though there have been occasional items at past shows.  But the show was in a large, badly lit exhibit hall at the N.C. state fairgrounds -- and even the largest displays were mostly lost in the vast space.

Other negative factors:
  • There really wasn't much in the way of interactive displays -- something that would give kids something to do.
  • The items that were for sale were mostly at prices that were above ones at which one could find the same items on the Internet.
  • Most vendors had made little effort to display their items in a creative way.
When I had a table at these shows, I had a background banner between two of my photographic lightstands.  That background display also incorporated several small bulletin boards on which I had information about the items I was selling.  And, I also provided bright canvas covers for the battered tables usually supplied at these shows.

No, I never made much money at these shows, considering the amount of time that it took to organize the items, set up, be there for the better part of two days, and then dismantle and haul everything home again.  But, for the most part, I enjoyed talking with people attending and did get some in-person feedback on the items I was selling.  I did give out business cards and occasionally got a couple of mail orders later on.

(Most of the vendors didn't even have any business cards, which cost next to nothing.)

I wonder if the sponsoring organization could do something to address the above issues -- or if the dreary venue is just too much to overcome.  (During the time that I had a table at these shows, the shows were in a different building at the state fairgrounds.)

There are other shows in North Carolina, but those are several hours away by car.

-- Ernest.

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 7:52am

Just got home from the Denver Train Show.  It was mobbed!  Had crowds around the layout the entire weekend, I could barely get access myself to switch turnouts to change trains.  Best part, met a bunch of new friends interested in German model railroading.

A lot of fun, but I'm exhausted!

Gordon,

It's a shame you weren't at that show when we lived in Colorado!

-------------
Michael

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:20am
There is a show in May in our small City.....hint , hint, hint LOL

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2017 at 8:31am
The organizers did a great job, from load-in to load-out.  There was traffic control and plenty of time.  This exhibit hall, the Denver Merchandise Mart, is designed for trade shows of various kinds.  There was a whole kids' area where children could play with trains hands on.  All of the children who visited my layout were well behaved, or, if too young to understand, were carefully supervised.  The hall was sold out for vendor space, and there must have been 30 layouts (one of which was European!) on exhibit. It was a well publicized show, even appearing on the community calendars of neighboring cities like Colorado Springs.

One of the advantages of my N scale layout is that it only takes me 5-7 minutes to unload everything from the horse trailer, set it aside, and move my rig out of the way.  Once I get my stuff to my set up location, it takes about 10 minutes to assemble and power on.  Then it takes about 1/2 hour to rail the trains and check everything over.  At that point I can be a tourist.

Yes, Michael!  I regret that we were not acquainted while you lived in this area! 

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2017 at 6:03pm
Just a slight update.  I'm building Faller's Bonn Hauptbahnhof to be the station on my yard extension.  I'm using the Noch weathering powders to color the red sandstone and yellow brick structure, and the concrete steps.  It really takes the cursed plastic shine off of the parts:

I'm only partway through the build - haven't done the center hall yet, or any of the platform side, and I am saving roof structures (chimneys, etc) for last since they break off easily.

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 8:10am
Looks good Gordon, you do a nice job in going in to details like those.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 11:22am

A slight interruption of the Bonn Hbf build.  My order for an Artitec greenhouse, #316.050, finally came in.  Out came the blue foam placeholder, and in went the new greenhouse, plus gardeners:

Now I think my Kleingärten are complete.  Maybe.

And by the way, thanks to Rey for tracking this down. It was not offered on the Reynauld's website, but I saw it on the Artitec site, and Rey ordered it for me. The extra effort is much appreciated!

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 4:29pm
I have to remind myself that it is N-Scale

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 04 Apr 2017 at 10:12pm
Back to the Bonn Hauptbahnhof....which I call Keinestadt Hbf.  It is mostly complete.  The flagpoles, flags, and a few gutters are not installed, waiting on wiring lights, and a more secure attachment to the layout.  But a few photos to update:

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 09 Apr 2017 at 9:13pm
A bit further on the Bonn Hbf build.  I noticed in several fotos that the arched window on the track side of the Bahnhof has a stained glass or painted glass picture.  With  little help from friends on the N scale forum, I was able to get a fairly clear image.  I copied it to Publisher, reduced the size appropriately, and printed it on a semi-clear shipping label.  Here is the result:

I'm easily distracted, so I moved on to other things before completing the Hauptbahnhof.  Here is as close a replica as I could get to one of our favorite places:

Not satisfied with an exterior view, I had to attempt more:

Still more to do on each of my projects, but each has to wait for ideas to percolate.

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Posted By: Misha_K
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 11:29am

Wow, Gordon! Nice work.

If at some point you do want to relocate the MiWuLa into a proper harbor warehouse, there is this beautiful laser cut kit from Markenburg: https://www.markenburg.nl/en/thema-zaankade/375-kaaspakhuis-1-open-achter-wand.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.markenburg.nl/en/thema-zaankade/375-kaaspakhuis-1-open-achter-wand.html

And from the other side: https://www.markenburg.nl/en/thema-zaankade/384-kaaspakhuis-1-open-achter-wand.html" rel="nofollow - https://www.markenburg.nl/en/thema-zaankade/384-kaaspakhuis-1-open-achter-wand.html

;-)

Misha

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 11:51am
I've been eyeing those!

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 1:39pm
You have to have also a few trains running on you MiWuLa Layout LOL

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 10 Apr 2017 at 3:50pm
Had I done it to scale (1:14,000) instead of to the available space in this kit, I figured to use styrene rod for trains. A BR 111 would be about 1 mm long, while an ICE driving car would be about 1.5 mm.

If I used iron wire cut into lengths, I could mount a magnet to a rotating disc under the layout so at least one train would be in motion.

I did consider it, and with a more appropriate structure might try it yet. A man has to have dreams and challenges.

Oh great, you've got me pondering again.

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 4:26pm
But please with original paint scheme and interior lighting of the ICE cars LOLLOLLOL

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2017 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by RRVRR RRVRR wrote:

But please with original paint scheme and interior lighting of the ICE cars LOLLOLLOL

Naturlich!

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 16 May 2017 at 4:25pm
Oh boy!  My favorite Forum is back up!  Meanwhile I've been assembling building kits for the Hamburg side of my extension.

And a close-up of the Café display windows:

Wishing for a pastry right now, myself!  But tonight, grilled Pizza and beer - celebrating our Silberhochzeit!

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Posted By: Bahner
Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 12:59pm
You've been busy :)

Very nice work on the buildings!

Date Posted: 16 Jun 2017 at 2:51pm
Thanks, Bahner. Now the challenge is to make sure that everything is running smoothly before the train show at the Forney Transportation Museum (Denver) July 22nd & 23rd. Cleaning track and wheels, lubing loks, checking turnouts.

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 4:48pm
I'll be taking my layout to the train show at the Forney Transportation Museum in Denver, August 22nd and 23rd. I hope to report back here with photos after the show.

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 6:46pm

I'll be taking my layout to the train show at the Forney Transportation Museum in Denver, August 22nd and 23rd. I hope to report back here with photos after the show.

Great, looking forward to seeing them!

Ralph.

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2017 at 4:39pm
The train show at the Forney Transportation Museum last weekend was quite enjoyable.  It was not well attended since the street in front of the museum was under construction, and only had one lane, one-way, open.  But it was reasonably attended, and we had a good time.

This photo was taken after we started to tear down, and had removed the green felt skirting that I use at shows.

Today I started on a new interactive display.  In August 2014 Kathy and I visited Halstatt, Austria, and toured the salt mine above the town.  A nice funicular ride up to the entrance, great tour, and a "train" ride out of the mountain, and a fine long hike down.   In the mine the salt is dissolved in ponds, and when the salinity of the water reaches 43%, the saltwater is pumped 20+ kilometers to a desalination plant where it is returned to usable crystal form.  I am trying to give a representation of the salt mine, with the crystal cave effect, the long slides used to reach lower levels, and a static display of the train ride out.

Here is the beginning:

There will be an upper and lower level.  I expect to have figures - tourists like myself - going down a slide to get to the lower level on a belt operated by a slow speed motor.  This will activate for 10 to 12 seconds, and lights illuminate the crystalline character of the cave/mine when spectators push a button.  
Next step, I think, is to build a working module that can be inserted into the lower left side.  I'll keep folks posted as I make progress, and as the forum is available.

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 01 Aug 2017 at 6:05pm
Hi Gordon,

Nice to see that the show went well, even if not fully attended.

I remember visiting the salt mines around '68 and it's something that stuck with me even though I was still a young'un. Great idea for modelling and I'm looking forward to see how this turns out!

Ralph.

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 11:07am
Making some progress.  I've built the slide, from one level to the other, and motorized it so figures (tourists) will be descending.  The basic carving, painting and "salting" is done.  Now waiting for the Envirotek in the pool to dry so I can assemble and finish this project.

The cut-out in the foreground is for installation of the slide, which will come down from the upper left.  All of this will be behind a removable panel, with a viewing opening so spectators can see the mine and the slide.

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 12 Aug 2017 at 8:31pm
Wow, that is coming along nicely! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Ralph.

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 4:00pm
The structure is finished and the chute (slide) is functional.  Still need to populate the mine with tourists, guide, and working miners spraying water on the salt to dissolve it into the pool.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xocaczqb486jjxz/2017-08-22%2013.26.16.mp4?dl=0" rel="nofollow - https://www.dropbox.com/s/xocaczqb486jjxz/2017-08-22%2013.26.16.mp4?dl=0

I was unable to load this 15 second video file into PhotoBucket, and PB is now being a pill about photosharing with other websites.  I'm trying to use the link button above.  When I post this, and click on the link, the video does not come up - a page saying "download file" appears.  I wonder what the stumbling blocks are?

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 9:23pm
Clicking on your link worked fine for me.  Looks good.

-- Ernest

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 10:15pm
Nice work!

Ralph.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 9:32am
time for a little update.

I have been unable to post photos here due to non-compliance with PhotoBucket's extortion scheme.  I thought that I had finally found a work-around, so today is an experiment.  No luck, still unable to post photos.

I have tried the Chrome work around, and also direct copy and paste.  Ah, well.  I may have to find a different photo hosting service.

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 11:12am
Hi Gordon,

I had the same issue earlier this year. I ended up using 'Imgur' and it's been fine.

Ralph.

Date Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 1:34pm
Thanks, Ralph. I'll have to do that.   Chrome work around was effective on another forum.

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 11:20am
This is a test of my ability to post photos using Imgur.  I recently acquired this little gem, a Fleischmann BR 101, DCC with sound.  Runs like a charm, sounds great!  Thanks, Rey & Roman!

https://imgur.com/hGMkBFf

Hmmm.  I must be doing something wrong - still can't seem to post a photo.  I go to the pic I want, hover the cursor until the "copy" and the "share" boxes come up, but nothing in them seems to work.  I copy the various links available, delete the http that appears in the REI Picture box, and paste.  Nothing.

" border="0">
Well, it is a very nice little e-Lok; wish you could see it.

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 3:10pm
I was able to see it by following the link in your post.

I have an older HO version of a Roco DB 101 -- and it also runs great.  I plan to use it with a push-pull train.

Hope you find a solution for posting pictures, so that we can have more postings here.

-- Ernest

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 5:39pm
Okay, I think I have discovered some of your problems.

First, you are uploading -- to the storage site -- a much too large version of the picture.  Before you upload for the purposes of linking in this forum resize the image to something like 800x(whatever).

Then, on the storage site, display the picture, and, with the cursor over the picture, copy the link to the picture -- not the link to the page including the picture.

Paste that link into the forum popup.  I think that should work.  Good luck.

-- Ernest

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2017 at 7:27pm
Thanks, Ernest. I'll try that tomorrow.

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2017 at 9:11pm

Nice crowd at the TECO Train Show in Colorado Springs last weekend.  The new venue, the Event Center at Chapel Hills Mall, was an excellent place for the show - no crawling around on grimy concrete floors to hook up electronics, nice carpeting!

I thought the show was well attended - one pair of guys said they came all the way from the middle of Kansas to see the show!  I gave out about a dozen of Rey's business cards to folks who wanted to know where to get cool stuff like the Faller Car System.

Needless to say, I had a fun weekend!

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Posted By: CIWL
Date Posted: 01 Nov 2017 at 11:14pm
Hi Gordon,
It's great to see how your layout attracts people of all ages. Fantastic work. I look forward to seeing it in person one of these days. Hopefully the next time you'll show it to the public.

Best regards

Cris

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 9:52am
Yes, it is a really nice and good looking layout. I'm impressed how small it is and how much stuff you have on it. I should have done N-Scale....Imagine how much space I would have and what I can put on....WinkLOL

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 03 Nov 2017 at 12:07pm
Thank you both, Cris and Markus!  The next show will be in Loveland at the Fairgrounds, in the 1st Bank Building, November 25th & 26th. See https://rockymountaintrainshow.com/Default.aspx  (the hyperlink button above is not cooperating, so copy and paste....)  Be sure to stop by and say hi, Cris.

Meanwhile I am replacing a broken turnout in a most inaccessible place.  Almost done!

The most amazing thing at this last show was a 4 or 5 year old boy who quietly wandered around looking at the set.  Finally he pointed to my Rhine barge and said "Boat" and then to a Warsteiner Semi, and said "Truck."  His mother turned to me with great excitement and told me that those were the first words he ever spoke!

My wife is starting to run trains at shows now, which is a great help.  Now I just need to convince her to run trains at 2/3 speed, not full blast, and to rest them in a station to allow motors to cool.

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Posted By: CIWL
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 12:21am
Gordon. That's a fantastic story. Thanks for sharing. are you going to be at the show both days?

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2017 at 6:51am
Yes, both days. Not worth traveling that far, setting up and tearing down, for just one day. Also, exhibitors who bug out after one day won't get invited back.

We are staying in Loveland for the weekend. We have a horse/house-sitter taking care of the ranch.This gives us a chance to try some new micro-breweries.

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:51pm

The most amazing thing at this last show was a 4 or 5 year old boy who quietly wandered around looking at the set.  Finally he pointed to my Rhine barge and said "Boat" and then to a Warsteiner Semi, and said "Truck."  His mother turned to me with great excitement and told me that those were the first words he ever spoke!

That is a great story. Trains/train layouts and kids are just something special. As I've been working in my garage this past summer/fall on my layout I've had quite a gaggle of young on-lookers from the neighborhood. I can predict which ones are our future engineers, and which are not, just by the questions they ask.

Ralph.

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 3:59pm
It would have been amusing had the young man pointed to the Warsteiner semi and said, "Beer!"

-------------
Cheers!
Gordon
Rheinland Bayern Bahn

Date Posted: 17 Nov 2017 at 7:03pm

It would have been amusing had the young man pointed to the Warsteiner semi and said, "Beer!"

That would have been something! :)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.17 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk