German Rhine River Valley Railroad (HO)

Printed From: Reynauld's
Category: Topics
Forum Name: Layout Showcase
Forum Description: Pictures and Descriptions of Members Layouts
URL: http://forum.reynaulds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=901
Printed Date: 20 Sep 2017 at 9:39am
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.17 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: German Rhine River Valley Railroad (HO)
Posted By: RRVRR
Subject: German Rhine River Valley Railroad (HO)
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 2:42pm
Hi @ all,
had a long phone call today with Rey and he encouraged me to register here and post what I'm doing and like to do. I hope I'm at the right spot because this is the beginning of my "first" home layout construction. I finally know what kind of room size I get for my man cave and I thing that I'm almost close to the final version of what it will become. I have way to much what I like to do so I downsized it to a minimum (I know less is more but can't go less than this)

So here is a short description:

HO German Railroad, Region Rhine River with coal and steel industry from the "Ruhrpot" and a small harbor.
Double Mainline where I can decide for a train to run around or go to the shadow station. Small single branch line for the industries. Controls will be DCC (Z21 with four booster and Software Railroad & Co) over a main dispatcher PC with some touch screens around the layout for local dispatcher to control the branch switches. The software will allow to run trains automatically or manual controlled. Manual control's are over Wi-fi with smart phone or pad. A light control software (DMX protocol) will be used for layout and room lights (day/night cycles etc.). I also will try to implement a Faller car system but did not decided yet what form of digital control system I will use for the cars.

This is the layout so far (click the link below for a larger version)
http://www.7of9.de/pic/RRVRR3_4000.jpg" rel="nofollow - http://www.7of9.de/pic/RRVRR3_4000.jpg

Click this link to see a 3D CAD Version of the Layout
http://www.7of9.de/pic/RRVRR3_3d.jpg" rel="nofollow - http://www.7of9.de/pic/RRVRR3_3d.jpg

Any comments, question or constructive critics are welcome.

Markus (RRVRR)

PS: I know I watched to much "Hamburg" videos but what can I say - I'm infected with the MiWuLa Virus when it comes to details & electronics (will stay in the range of my limited abilities)

-------------
best, Markus

http://forum.reynaulds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=901&title=rhine-river-valley-railroad-ho" rel="nofollow - my layout - click here

Replies:
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 2:55pm
Two short Youtube videos from the Faller Dance club and the Joe's Town US Movie Production (not finish yet). You will find the location on the layout map.

Dance Club

Joe's Town

Posted By: el Gato Gordo
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 5:34pm

WOW, Markus!  Great plan and I envy your space!  I just came back from Hamburg, where I spent 5 1/2 hours going through the Miniatur Wunderland.  I understand the virus.  And yes, you have it bad.  Me, too.

Entry from below....so, is this an attic, or a space over a garage? 

I was just given a large crate of HO stuff, which I haven't had the chance to sort through, yet.  My ambitions are in N scale.  I believe there is some bridge stuff.  If I find anything else that might be useful to you, I'll send you a list.  Since it was free to me, I am talking about a gift, not a sale.  I heartily support your ambitious layout.Clap

Gute Reise,

Gordon

Posted By: reynauld1963
Date Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 7:16pm
WOW, Markus when we spoke on the phone today, I had no idea that you were planning such a large layout.  What are the dimensions of the bench work? 

Thanks for sharing

Rey

Posted By: BR42
Date Posted: 10 Sep 2014 at 12:36am
Hello Markus,

Welcome to the forum.  I can also say wow, this is a great layout plan.  Great modeling in the videos.  I cannot wait to see more pictures of the progress.  If you have any questions I am sure you will find many answers right here.  

Ulrich

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 8:17am
Hi Guys,
thank you so much for the feedback.

@el Gato Gordo (Gordon)
Thank you very much for this generous offer. Please send me a list when you have it ready and we go from there. Last year in November I traveled for two days to Hamburg. The date was scheduled to join the special event "Eine Nacht im Wunderland" (a night at the wonderland). Those events have a visitor limitation to a few hundreds for around four hours, so there was always space in front of the layout and a tour guide was giving you a lot of info's (in German) over the speaker system. The next Day I booked the tour "behind the scenes" and was lucky that Frederick itself was the tour guide. After the tour I only was able to survive for another three hours there because it was so grouted and you have to dig in for a space in the front (no fun). I got a lot of ideas and information out of the visit and hope that I can implement some to my layout.

@ Rey
The layout room is 26x26 ft and it is a room over our new garage. The room is 8ft high so no attic feeling. I didn't have the dimension (sf) for the bench work yet but will post the details here in the future. The software I used is WinTrack (it is also available in English and there was some interest from the Guy to sell it in the US but I took that opportunity down, maybe something for you to distribute)

@ BR42 (Ulrich)
Thanks also to you for the warm welcome. Your wish for more pictures can be fulfilled Wink with my next post.

Date Posted: 11 Sep 2014 at 9:36am
Infected by the MiWuLa Airport Virus I had to build something for my layout too. Of course I do not have the space and the time to build something that comes even close to MiWuLa but a small corner in the layout was in need to have a airport scene (left corner on the button of the layout draft). So here are some pictures of my small military airport.

The size is around a queen size bet and a lot of German Military bases have pre-manufactured concrete floor panels. In order to give it a similar look I came up with the idea to use small, thin wood chips (Hobby Lobby has that in different sizes in a bag). So I arranged my buildings and started with gluing down the wood. After everything was in place I used texture spray to get rid of the wood structure. First layer of paint was a dark grey followed by a more concrete color grey and some weathering and sign's of use (see pictures below)

The Airport and how it looks today (still not finish but this comes when he get's his final place). The switch in the front is only for test purpose to switch on the animations like the Radar (scratch build from a pipe and parts out of the scrap box and marker lights in the pipe out of fiberoptics), the plane a Junkers Ju52 (Roco) has all the marker, flashing and interior lights including working propellers and the Helicopter also has the flashing marker lights and both rotors are working. BTW...the motors are out of old cell phones, it is used for the vibration in every phone and is still a bit smaller then the motors for the faller car system. I have to do a video for YouTube.

My Wife don't really like when I spent money for my hobby (sounds familiar to you?) and she loves to save money. She came up with the idea of a military band, so we looked at Preiser and found something. We also found the same band unpainted for much less and she said "I can paint it". Hours later she found the idea not this good anymore LOL  but she did a really good job in my opinion. Almost all of the figures on the airport are painted from her.

What looks great at MiWuLa is the runway so I thought a small section with some lights would look good too. Well around 100 LED's later I was getting mad with myself for such stupid ideas but after I fired it up the work paid of. The white runway light in the middle flashes like the real on, really fast and hard to catch on a picture, it's a flashing sequence of 14 LED's that run by under a second and pause for two seconds before it repeats (I wrote my own program for an Arduino Uno curcuit board). Here are some night shots.

....to be continued Wink

-------------
best, Markus

http://forum.reynaulds.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=901&title=rhine-river-valley-railroad-ho" rel="nofollow - my layout - click here

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 9:49am
.....continue.....

Since it took awhile before I can start with the bench work construction I used the opportunity to start building on structures to save time later. I like details and the buildings that are in the foreground needs some special attention and detail so here are more structures that are not just glued together.

Train Station (Faller Schwarzburg)
The lights on the pictures always appear in a blue shine on pictures but those are white LED's.

For the lights I used the original plastic parts from the kit but glued an small LED (1,6x1,0mm) underneath

Glass Factory (Piko)
most kit's don't come with interior so when I place that buildings in the foreground and like to light it up I just have two options, make the glass opaque or build the interior from scratch, most of the time I choose the last option and build some interior especially when the windows are really big. It actually doesn't need much detail because the windows are not like glass and blur the view. The illusion is important.

There is also a smoke generator in the smoke stack.

The crane (Uhlenbrook) is DCC and fully operational

Saw Mill (Faller, animated)
The ground scenery is not finish on all buildings and diorama's I do right now because I blend it in when they got placed on the layout.

Butcher Shop with "Biergarten"

Interlocking Tower (Kibri, Geislingen)
Big windows - nothing for me without interior detail!

I had the idea to show a track plan of that part what the tower are controlling as a big wall display. It also should show which track is free (green) and occupied (red), the switches should be yellow. I used a laser cutter to cut out tiny holes in a small piece of plywood and then I engraved the track plan in a piece of acrylic and overlay both. LED's in the back light up the holes in different colors and two LED's on top of the acrylic piece lights up the track plan (hard to see on the picture).

The wife first kit's she build. She like to do a market scene in the small suburban town on the Rhine river.

Last but not least - I like to see the layout from Preiser perspective so I had to options; shrink or build a camera train. Well, the first option doesn't worked out so I chose option two Wink

The camera is behind the front door window (I used an old DC US engine that I bought on ebay for just $20 because this one has almost nothing in it and enoufg free space in front of the front of the axles and enough space to squeeze in a decoder and the power supply circuit for the camera. Power the cam directly from DCC without filter will not work.

....stay tuned more will follow

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 12 Sep 2014 at 4:34pm
Markus:

Amazing modelling.  Wonderful job, I love the pictures.

Thanks,

Ulrich

Posted By: Bundesbahn
Date Posted: 13 Sep 2014 at 11:26pm
Hi Markus

Here is a belated 'Welcome to the Forum' from ChooChoo, the Maerklin guy.

I have been with this hobby, off and on, since 1955.

There were a few commercial exhibition layouts I have seen, some of them outright huge. Too many people doing too much. Whatever!

As far as a private household is concerned, your layout takes the cake, by far.

My wife is also sharing the hobby with me. She is less concerned about the money involved. Oh well!

I really like your approach to model photography. By far, not everyone knows how to do that, I do know.

Please, contact me via e-mail: rowyheid@charter.net

Roger Heid (ChooChoo)

Forum Moderator
Blog Administrator

Date Posted: 14 Sep 2014 at 9:06am
Markus thanks for taking the time to share, you work is excellent.  I love the pictures.

Thanks

Rey

Date Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 8:56am
Small update:

I started now with the construction of the framework but during my lack of free space I have to move stuff around all the time. In spring 2015 I like to expand the room to the desired size so I have to enclose the porch what will give me another 6 feet of space.

Here are some pictures of the construction also I started on the coal mine.

more will follow....

-------------
best, Markus

Posted By: Mitch
Date Posted: 15 Dec 2014 at 6:49pm
Great Work.  What CAD program are you using to do you track planning?

Is that Faller Disco Kit still available?  I could not find it.  I was at a dance party the other night with my dance school (Ballroom Dancing) and we were at a venue with large glass windows like that.

You are an inspiration to us all.

Right now I am just at the early stages of planning and room preparation. 

Mitch

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 7:49am
@ Mitch
The track planning Software I use is called WinTrack and is a German Software but also available in English. It supports some Walthers Kits and Peco Track. As far as I know and spoke the last time with them they had trouble to get the track informations from Atlas and Shiohara. This is the Link to there English Website: http://www.wintrack.de/usa.html

The Faller Disco is a really old kit, I was lucky to find a non build version at ebay. Once in a while you still will find them but it is out of production for many years.

Thanks Mitch, we all like to see what you are building so please don't forget to make pictures and post it here.

Markus

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 29 Dec 2014 at 8:04am
btw...the software can do more, you also can run a train over your layout that you are planning and you can have a cab view, here are some videos from my layout (down site there is no record function yet so I used my cell phone to record it). It will give you a different view of what you are planning.

With the ICE over the main line, starting at the main station

With a BR218 through the industrial district and the harbor

With the BR218 to the coal mine

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 1:47pm
Here is another update on the progress of the layout.

I started with the first Helix

to keep the same distance without adjusting each level I cut a 1/2" water pipe to the length I need to get the right clearance (in my case according to NEM 90mm).

For safety I added a fall protection to the outside (the inside will follow later)

After testing the track work, it was time to put the lid on top of it Big smile (in my case the Airport section

Space is always a rare thing for Model Railroaders so I try to use any free space I have for storage so I build me a shelf out of left overs for my colors

In addition I added a small section to the Airport to park other Airplane Models (all kids I build or still have to build)

The Coal Mine is also making some progress.

The HOe (narrow gauge) is just a point to point line and will be parked in the tunnel or in front of the depot to give the line a purpose.

first vegetation layer is added

If somebody will notice the "hovering" beams,  I used Siemens "Air Hooks" (I'm kidding, just not done yet) Embarrassed

The background actually was finish but the blue I painted the room with is to light for my taste so I used a darker blue to over paint it. With a spray gun I made a transition to the lighter color so it looks more like a horizon. Now I have to beg my wife for painting the clouds again.

It looks like that I still have some work to do on the tracks and the balast

upcoming work forecast Wink

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 2:16pm
Some progress was made...have convinced my wife to start painting the backdrop beginning with the clouds first (not done yet).

I also had some time to continue on the passenger station...

Next on the list is the Station itself, a big building with almost 5ft.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 11:18am
Small update:
Backdrop is done with painting. Right know I think about to add a background Building to give it even more depth.

I'm also almost done with the lighting. The flashing tower light is not visible (was not be able to catch it on cam). Two of the three animated shaft elevators are tested to make sure they work.

Next step is to add new lighting above the layout that accomplish the goal that no shadow develops at the backdrop, continues brightness over the whole layout (no dark/bright spots) and the possibility to have an automated day/night cycle. I already have a concept in mind but want to test it first to see if it works before I talk about it.

Like always - any comments are welcome.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 05 Mar 2015 at 8:08am
Dear Markus;

I love your work, I keep telling myself that I need to find the time to get my layout starter.  You have been very inspiring to say the least.

Sincerely,

Reynauld

Date Posted: 16 Mar 2015 at 10:14am
Detailing work takes a lot of time and can't be rushed. I was caught up the last week in detailing, research for new materials and a lot of other things so I really can't show a lot of progress on the layout right now in form of pictures. But at least a little bit progress is visible and I guess more pictures will follow this week.

I started with the new train station from Faller called "Friedrichstadt" because the station "Bonn" (also from Faller) I had seems a little bit to small, here you can see it in comparison. The Friedrichstadt kit is around 4 1/2 ft. long.

Bonn in the front, Friedrichstadt behind (in the far back is the castle kitbash)

The layout moves forward, I started yesterday with the shadow yard after I changed the concept a little bit. I will have now five tracks for each direction with four sections, means storage space for forty trains. On every track I park four trains behind each other and I will program the software later the way that trains are pulled out in random order. So a train sequence will be twenty trains but no sequence will be the same. Well, so far the theory. Smile

Draft of the shadow station, each section can store a train up to 9-10ft., plenty for European trains

Start of the construction on the airport side

to be continued....

-------------
best, Markus

Posted By: NHtrain
Date Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 12:52am

Hello Markus,

Great job, Your layout is coming a long and it looks good so far. I have also been working on my layout too adding some scenery and other details to one of my modules for the portable lay out.

Interesting we both have Faller "Bonn" station. I pick up mind up at last years Concord Model Railroad Club Show here in NH. Mine was assembled already and I carefully took the roof off the main part and add people in to it, I have plans to add lighting to it at some point. Do you have people and lighting in your "Bonn" station? I like the looks of the "Bonn" station I am going to use mine on one of the modules that is in the planning stages.

-------------
Mark

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 12:59am

Markus

Question What train shed or passenger canopy is that in your pictures? It almost looks like the one for "Bonn" station, I like the look of the glass roof on it. What brand and kit number is it?

Thanks 

-------------
Mark

Date Posted: 17 Mar 2015 at 2:17pm
Mark,

thanks, the kit for the canopy is indeed the fitting one for the Bonn station. It is an old kit from Kibri and I bought two of it in an auction on Ebay. This old kit has really ugly plastic colored parts and I ended up with painting them all. Building this on was a little bit of a pain because of the clear parts. You have to be very careful with glue. I used a glue from Micro-sol for the clear parts because it doesn't make them blind. On the other hand this glue takes long to try and is by far not this strong in bonding. You need a lot of patience.

Small Tip:
For painting the lines on the platform I used a paint pin stripping tool

Lighting was done with LED-Strip's insert in Panera straw's and spray painted white.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 18 Mar 2015 at 1:17pm

Hi Markus

Oh ok , Thank you for the information on the Kibri train shed. The platform and shed look good. I like your idea with the LED light strips on the in add more light. It most look cool with the room lights off or turn down low.

The club I belong to here in NH has the Kibri version on "Bonn" station that is much bigger then the faller one that I have. I would almost say it at least 4' in length.  I think I am going to look for the Kibri "Bonn" station and Kibri train shed like yours to put on the home layout and keep the Faller one for shows. I will just need to keep my DB ICE3 shorter for shows

-------------
Mark

Date Posted: 25 Apr 2015 at 2:37pm
Hi @ all,
there is not a lot of progress at the layout because of a lack of time and motivation. Anyway, I have some other projects going on and this is one of it.

I guess most of you saw the movie "Unstoppable" with Denzel Washington and Chris Pine. Here are some pictures to refresh your memories.

Since I saw that movie (don't know how many times) I would love to get the Locomotive but there are not available from any manufacturer, so that means "do it yourself"

Here are the results:

There are still some details missing what I will apply in the next days. In both Engines I installed the new TCS WOW sound decoder and run it in the new "prototype mode", I like it.

As soon as I get a good model of a SD40-2, I like to build the third engine called 1206.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 17 Jul 2015 at 2:11pm
just a small update in pictures

lot of work.....Confused

but finally done....Big smile

Bridge and Building development or trail and error with my laser...Ouch

I'm willing to sell it. Rey?! Wink

one corner of the layout is finally almost done

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 1:56pm
My time is short at the moment so it took longer to get something done on the layout. Wiring is not something of high interest so I guess I can skip this part.

Turnouts might be a little bit more interesting especially controlled by a servo. I already designed my own turnouts for the Faller Car System

so it was not a large step to do this also for the train turnouts

My main line and parts of the branch line will have super elevation so I had to figure out an easy way to do it. The solution I came up with was to laser cut two pieces out of 1mm thick card board what I have glued together so I get an elevation of 2mm on one side.

I think this is enough without risking derailments.

In edition I started with the section that will be over the shadow station between the airport helix and the city station. This is hosting a small section of a German city with the car system.

I will use Train Controller for automatic train control. I has the possibility to let me chose if I like to be in control, let the program partly control or just full automation to lean back and watch. The first step is to setup the layout in the program. This is almost done and I already can control the trains with the program on the computer or from my tablet, smart phone.

I had a hard time to decide where I put the monitors. Right now I placed it between shadow station level and the first visible layer. Unfortunately it will now block the access to the shadow yard and in case something goes wrong it usually is exactly where you have a hard time to reach in. The solution right now are two monitor swing brackets so I will be able to move the monitors away.

...to be continued

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 3:42pm
Ballast is done, rail's are painted...next steps is to weather the track a little bit more, it looks to clean....I keep you posted.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 3:03pm
for more realism - some junction self made boxes and cable tray

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 31 Aug 2015 at 5:50pm

That is GREAT, Markus!  I'll keep that in mind when I get to that point with the N scale layout....

Gord

Date Posted: 09 Sep 2015 at 1:54pm
The Labor day weekend gave me a little bit time to continue to work on my small layout.

Since I started with the connection from the helix to the city station this is the first section of the visible train line.

Chaos overview of my work area Embarrassed

This is the section where the City will be located so I have to start with the buildings in the back. I thought to do some modern skyscrapers in the back and I immediately started with designing them for a few hours before I noticed the TV Screen is smiling at me. So I switched my brain back on and then it hit me "what the f... are you thinking" - well so far with the skyscraper idea. The new solution is a Porsche car dealer, a parking garage and maybe a small higher office building (I don't will call it skyscraper anymore).

One of the project I almost finished was the kit above, now I wait for some cheap 1/100 cars from china because I don't want to waste the detailed 1/87 scale cars for inside. The kit is also not truly  1/87 so there are looking good from around 6 feet away.

In this corner I had planned a nice detailed castle but it is to far away and the details would hard to see so decided to use the pre-build ruin from Noch. It is made out of some sort of grey foam but this will not reflect the ruin's of the castles on the Rhine river so I had to change the color to a old and darker looking brown and also raised it a little bit.

I used the zoom of my cellphone for a more close up picture (bad idea)

....to be continued....

-------------
best, Markus

Posted By: Eisenbahner
Date Posted: 26 Oct 2015 at 9:44am
Markus, I am new to the Reynauld's forum and have just recently been viewing your posts. Your project is very ambitious in every way and I look forward to following your progress. Although much greater in scope than my layout, we do have one thing in common: I have been working with Wintrack planning software for some time now. Would you consider e-mailing me a copy of your layout file? I would love to examine how you have engineered your layout levels, etc. I realize this may be an unusual request, hope you do not mind my asking. Regards, and keep up the fantastic work! David

-------------
Remember, it's the journey, not the destination!

Date Posted: 28 Oct 2015 at 9:53am
@ eisenbahner
I send you a private message with a download link, the email over the reynaulds forum gave me errors and doesn't let me send it.

Since the last view weeks I had no time to continue working on the layout but on the weekend I had some time to continue on the castle ruin.

I added some ground cover and static grass (still a long way to call it finish, needs weeds, brushes and tree's, sorry for the bad pictures)

This is the first time I try to make my own tree's.....we will see how those turn out.

I also had the chance to extend the shadow station around 6 ft.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 8:27am

Just came up with my budget planing for the coming month but I'm afraid my wife will not agree with it.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 1:54pm
So, here is a update on my wire tree's I tried to make. I guess I need more practice.

the top of this tree stays not the way it is now, I will work on this

...to be continued.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 31 Oct 2015 at 11:03am
I think the spruce tree shows a great deal of promise, Markus. Though I don't make trees from scratch, I modify stock fir trees. Very difficult to achieve the single vertical leader on the trunk.

Cheers,
Gord

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 12:56pm
Thanks Gord but this is still far away from my expectations. I will try more on the weekend, also finish the castle ruin.

I replaced my room lighting with high power LED Light bulbs and switched to daylight (4300 kelvin, 1650 lumen), it makes a big difference how the color on the layout comes out. So I decided to start with the layout lighting before it gets to hard to reach it. Since I like to add a lot of realism like day/night cycles and bad weather conditions it needs quite some stuff to do so. I know this gets now to a point most people might not understand or think I'm going a little bit overboard but it comes back to the point "everybody should do what he likes to". So for those that are interested in I like to show what I do.

I'm really familiar with stage lighting so it was clear for me to use DMX Devices. There are widely available and easy to use. The control of the automation is a free software called Qlight that will be installed on a separate PC. I use a USB/DMX interface from Enttec. First I thought to do wireless DMX but I have to run my power to all devices so I use regular DMX cable. For the daylight I use 12-14 dimmable T8 4ft. LED Tubes (4100 kelvin, 1700 lumen) for the daylight. When the sun goes down I need to add more red color that slowly turns to a dark blue before the light goes of. For this effect I will use RGB Strip lights controlled by a DMX RGB controller. Since the Qlight software will control all lights on the layout I have to interface the signal for day/night cycle back to the Train Controller software to turn on street lights, building, locomotive and passenger car lights. This will be done with my layout S88 feedback modules. Timing of the layout lights will be done by train controller and stationary Arduino modules that i will use for decentralized light control.

Here are some picture of the tray installation (the raceways were free of charge so I used them)

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2015 at 3:46pm
Thanks for the info, Markus!  I didn't even know they made LED replacements for T8 fluorescent tubes yet.

Though I don't have a dedicated room for trains, I can change out the tubes in my woodshop (where my trains currently reside), and that will improve the lighting tremendously.  I retired from being a construction electrician (commercial, industrial) in April, 2012 - and I am constantly amazed by the changes in the industry that have occurred in the last 3 years!

My knowledge of computerized controls, however, could be contained on the head of a pin, with room for many dancing angels!

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2015 at 12:14pm
Gordon,
for your wood shop I would recommend 5000 kelvin and as much lumen as you can get. With the replacement LED tubes you have to bypass the ballast, they work directly on 120V. This would eliminate the noise from the ballast and in chase you have a starter in it, this needs to be removed as well. Since you are an electrician (as I learned for 3 1/2 years in Germany a long time ago) I do not need to explain what it means Wink

This would be a good deal:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T8-G13-4FT-20W-MILKY-STRIPED-CLEAR-LENSE-3000K-5000K-6500K-LED-TUBE-LIGHTS-/111704680927?var=&hash=item1a021e29df:m:mXeeRramjtbWsuZ8qn1r_gA" rel="nofollow - http://www.ebay.com/itm/T8-G13-4FT-20W-MILKY-STRIPED-CLEAR-LENSE-3000K-5000K-6500K-LED-TUBE-LIGHTS-/111704680927?var=&hash=item1a021e29df:m:mXeeRramjtbWsuZ8qn1r_gA

2400 Lumen
4500-5000 Kelvin
milky/frosted cover

Depending on how many you order the cost go's down from $17,50 (2) to $11 (10).
Shipping is free (US Seller)

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 1:22pm
....It's time for a small update....

...lighting
I finally got the layout lighting installed. At the moment I do testings with the software to find out the best setting for my automated day/night cycles. Here are some pictures on this.

daytime

transition to night

in the morning (it really does not show up good so when I'm done I make a video of it).

..... City scene
since the Porsche Dealer came pre-build from the manufacturer what I did not like because I usually add lights, interior etc. and this makes it hard to change things around. In this case the big down was the mounting plate the building sits on. It is almost 10mm thick. The only solution was to cut out the wood to make the building blend in to the rest. it means also filling the gabs with plaster, sand it and repaint the whole thing.

this picture show's the back of the city scene at it's final place but will take it out to finish the rest on the work bench what is much easier to do. it give me at least an impression of how it will look like.

Finally got the window for the first helix covered Smile

For those following my thread this might looks familiar....it is the missing part for my "unstoppable" collection. It still needs some work but at least I can see some progress.

not a lot of space inside a SD40-2 for speaker, decoder and "keep alive" battery backup. Without extensive modification there is no way to fit this in.

I also need to add working ditch lights to a loco that does not have it to begin with. You have to go really small on those, no place for big lights or cables.

....to be continued Wink

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 01 Dec 2015 at 6:01pm
Hello Markus:

Wonderful modelling jobs.  I can see the difficulty getting the SD40 upgraded with sound, it is kind of doing the same thing to a German V100 diesel. 

Ulrich

Date Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 9:10am
Yes, I digitized a similar one (BR290) and added directional LED lights (white/red)  plus the decoder. There is almost no way to hide the decoder and make all cable invisible in the cap because this is in my model the only to place to put the decoder in. It was also quite challenging to hide the SMD LED's in the separate attached light enclosures that sit away from the shell.

-------------
best, Markus

Posted By: Railwriter
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 10:59am
Ulrich and others:

If the V100 that you are trying to digitize is an early Roco model, you may want to take a look at this site:

http://amw.huebsch.at/Produkte/V100_West.htm" rel="nofollow - http://amw.huebsch.at/Produkte/V100_West.htm

This is from an Austrian electrical engineer who specializes in small-run electronic components for model railroading.  For the V100 family, he offeres a replacement printed circuit board with a decoder socket already installed -- that requires a minimum of soldering. 

He accepts PayPal payments.  I ordered one of his circuit boards for my early Roco Austrian 2048, which is a rebuilt version of the German V100 family -- and which is intermally similar to other early Roco models of the V100 family.

I have not yet gotten around to installing the circuit board, but replacing the existing board looks fairly straight forward.  (Included instructions are in both German and English.)  The circuit board arrived in about 10 days.

Arnold Huebsch also offers replacement circuit boards for many other early Roco models that were sold before decoder sockets became standard.  Most of these circuit boards have LED lights already installed.

Huebsch has a very extensive Web site, including pages where he describes various personal projects -- some of which were later produced as commercial offerings.

I first became aware of Huebsch with repeated coverage of his products in the Austrian model train magazine to which I subscribe.

Most of his site is in both German and English.  He appears to be a one-person business.

-- Ernest

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 4:54pm
@ Ernest,
interesting, thanks for sharing

Small update on the city business section of my layout:
here an overview where it is located

I did a small mistake on my airport section and applied the static grass directly on the wood surface - newbie/beginner mistake - In nature, you do not have a flat surface except it was man made. To accomplish a more natural look I have to do an extra step and prepare the flat wood surface with a paste of glue, water, acrylic earth color and screened saw dust. This paste can be "sort of" painted on and makes a rough not repeating surface.

After it was dry I applied the first layer of static grass

The first layer of static grass is done with 2mm fibers and it already doesn't look as uniform as on my airport. As soon as all the details are glued on and the electric connections are made I will place it on the layout and blend in the scenery with more layers of grass, weed, bushes and tree's.

...stay tuned

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 20 Dec 2015 at 9:49pm

Hi Markus

Looks great! very nice job on the city business section  Nice addition to your layout. When does the dealership open for business, so I can trade in my old Porsche for a new one.

I have been looking at getting the Porsche dealership to add to my layout too.

Mark

-------------
Mark

Posted By: Misha_K
Date Posted: 21 Dec 2015 at 12:04pm

Finally someone who models bike lanes! So charachteristic of German towns, yet nowhere to be seen on almost all layouts. Nice work, Markus.

Misha

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 10:06am
@ Mark,
the Dealership will open in January but I heard they do not offer good rates on "trade in's" LOL

@ Misha,
You are right, they are often forgotten even it is a big part of German streets. As you might notice, I still have a small problem with painting the "bike" signs on the lanes. I need to get me some rubber and try to make some "stamps" with the laser and see how this will work out. Decals I tried do not work so great for me because I can't get the "shine" off even if I use dull coat.

In the meantime there is some progress on the business building.

I also was lucky to get the first tenant moving in to the penthouse level. A company I do a lot of business with. Wink They like to have a big company logo on the wall that can be lit in the evening so I try to please this customer. LOL  My laser cutter comes in handy again...!

This is how I hope it will look like after the lights are installed.

The rest of the rooms get there final walls attached with the "other customers color wishes" (thanks to the home depot free available color sample cards).

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 28 Dec 2015 at 3:34pm
Looking good, Markus!  Wish I had room for the bike lanes.  I can't count the number of times that, as a pedestrian, I inadvertently wandered into a bike lane, causing much consternation....  Vorsicht!

Very nice sign - wish I had your talent and laser cutter!

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 30 Dec 2015 at 11:29pm
The original design of the layout required to extent the room in our house. There is a small porch that I need to close and remove the old outside wall with door and windows. Finally I started to do this and want to finish it in the next two days before I can continue with the frame work of the layout. The extension is 18 ft. x6 ft. so the whole room size will be 30 ft. x 18 ft.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 02 Feb 2016 at 9:54am
So, there is a small update on the progress with the enclosure of the porch. The outside is done, the inside is almost done, just some touch ups to do on the joints of the sheet rock that are now visible after the primer was applied.

For the first time "ALL" of the Train related Items are in the same room, can't wait to finish the walls and the floor (unfortunately have to wait on the arrival of the floor order) to proceed with the frame work.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:13am
Hi @ all,
just want to update the status of my man cave extension Wink
My wife just started with the backdrop painting. We need first some clouds....

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:50am
more progress.....

Around a half year ago I got parts of a motorized turntable for free from a NMRA member that sort of gave up his layout. I was able to find out what manufacturer is was from and was also lucky to get the spare parts for it so now i face the challenge to blend this "monster" in to my layout because I really like it.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 12 Feb 2016 at 11:05am
Since the room is completed now and I have the final measurements, it's time to update the layout drawing you will find in my first post. It show's now layout at current planning stage. Frame work continues to develop and my wife continues to paint the backdrop.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 17 Feb 2016 at 12:12pm
Some progress is made on the frame of the middle section

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 3:13pm
UPDATE *** UPDATE *** UPDATE

Sorry, can't wait and have to open boxes to see what it looks like that I now know for two years just from a computer screen.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 8:29am
had a short weekend but a little bit progress was made. Continued working on the gas storage tank and started on the round house.

It looks not straight - right - it isn't but this comes with the other brackets. The card board bents like hell. I attached 18 LED lights to the tank and after all parts are glued on it will get's a paint job.

The floor is already painted and lightly weathered.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 12:31am
more round house and gas storage tank

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 6:35am
It is looking mighty fine, Markus!  HO sure has some very cool stuff - quite a variety.  But just when I think of switching to HO from N, I imagine the layout I could have in N if I had that kind of space.  LOL.

How will you be powering and controlling your trains?  What sort of boosters do you need for such a large layout?

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 4:05pm
Gordon,
you are quite right with HO and N. Sometimes I also thing what I would can do when I would have used N-scale instead of HO. Wink

I recently switched from a Lenz to a Roco Z21 System and will use the maximum amount of four boosters the system seems only able to supply. The plan is to use the Z21 booster output only for switching and the four boosters for driving. At this point I'm not sure how I will divide the four booster sections on the layout. I need to give this a thought before I do further wiring. It might turn out that I need to use the Z21 build in booster also for the layout. I have to do a load calculation on this.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 4:13pm
You can actually -- at least according to what I have read -- use more than four boosters on a Roco system, if you intersperse them with braking generators.

My planned layout currently looks like the main control station and three boosters should work, though I can add a fourth booster if needed.

Again, from what I've read, what's really important is that the boosters have adequate power supplies.  Some Roco power supplies only provide 2A, while the boosters can handle 3A or more, depending on which model booster you have.

-- Ernest

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 2:37am
I will use Roco 10764 what are actually needs to be refitted to be used as a booster.

In the meantime I worked a little bit on the round house and can't wait to have a small loco line up done. I still haven't glued the roof on (the middle section will not be glued on for emergency access) because the lights needs to be done first.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 06 Mar 2016 at 8:43am
Roundhouse looking good, with a very fine collection peering out!

Gord

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 12:34pm
As you mentioned Roco digital items:  I assume you are aware that Roco announced a whole bunch of new digital items, including new boosters, late last year.  I have not yet seen any discussion as to what combinations of these boosters can be used and how many.  But, I think I remember reading on a European Web site speculation that at least part of the reason for the new boosters is the fact that people are building larger digital layouts, which require more power.

I have one of the new "light" boosters on pre-order.  I will be really interested to see what its documentation says about multiple booster configurations.

-- Ernest

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:34pm
I bought four used Roco 10764 digital amplifiers because they can be easily converted into boosters. You can get those for around $30-35 on Ebay. People like to get rid of it like crazy. I have to check again but you can use a max of four of the "old style" boosters on a Z21 (not the z21).

The only thing you have to do is to attach another RF45 female plug to the circuit board and therefor you have to cut between the "booster out" and the "slave". After this is done you can daisy chain them. The only thing you can't do is to plug in something to the plugs master or slave. On the circuit board inside everything is already in place because Roco used the same circuit board for amplifier and booster, just the enclosure is different.

-------------
best, Markus

Posted By: Misha_K
Date Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 3:56pm
The Roco 10764 digital amplifier is plentiful on eBay because it is included in many starter sets from Roco and Fleischmann that come with a MultiMaus controller. So people ditch it when they upgrade to a better digital command center. When converting this to a booster please note that some DC users report issues where the booster won't provide a steady voltage and may lead to self destruction when a loco crosses from one area to another as the z21 will provide a higher and constant voltage. Also note that the booster doesn't "speak" Railcom. If this is active it may likewise lead to issues. Just passing info along from German boards.

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 7:02pm
Interesting discussion (though it probably belongs in the digital forum).  I had always been wary of so-called "Umbau" (conversion) boosters -- until I did some research on the Web and found that both the 10764 (amplifier) and 10765 (booster) actually use the same circuit board -- just with different connections.

While looking around for further information, I actually found a dealer on eBay that sells an adapter that lets you use several 10764 amplifiers as  boosters -- without having to install (solder in) an additional modular connector in each.  (I could probably do the soldering, but would rather save the time and effort.)

I actually have two "spare" 10746 amplifiers right now, so, with the one booster that I already have and the one on order, I should have plenty of power for my layout.  I just need to get a few more U.S. power supplies.

-- Ernest

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 7:17pm
Misha,
thanks for sharing, didn't hear about this issues but I do not use Railcom so this can be switched off. I will further investigate on this and if this would be become an issue that can't be fixed I definitely think about another solution.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 11:40pm
Today I was not really in the mood to work on the layout so I stopped working and started playing Wink

But first, the catwalks for the large gas storage tank are almost done, it misses two stairs and a paint job. In the meantime I started with the blower house and when I came to the weathering I reached the point of low motivation so I stopped. I continued to make pictures of a Loco-Parade (US Diesel what is left of it as well as my German Fleet)...was more fun to do  LOL

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 1:25pm
....update.....well not so much progress made since my last post because of a busy work schedule that continues to increase.

One major think was that we had a lightning strike close by and even I have APC protection and power backup devices on most electronic devices it destroyed my TV and the cable box in the layout room. So I was forced to take down the TV from the wall. I really gave it not a second thought in the beginning and question myself "what if when I have to take down the TV when the layout would be finish on that section?" It would be a real challenge to do it so I had to relocate the new TV. As a result, the TV was mounted before I painted the background, so this added also some extra work to fix the sky. Since I do not have the original color I was forced to use the air brush and tried to match it. My wife has to go over some spots and cover it with clouds. Embarrassed

In addition I did some work on the tracks, find the final location of buildings, started with ballast. Since I have a turn table and a transfer table I try to set it up in a way to make it believable that turn table and round house are from the past steam area but still in use. Transfer table, maintenance buildings for diesel and E-Loco's are build at a later time. We will see how this comes together when it is finish.

I also finished the large gas storage tank.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 29 May 2016 at 7:55pm
Long time since my last update. This is because I do not have the time to do anything when I get of work. Have to do a lot of overtime at the moment and also things around the house that needs my attention. I hope that in a few weeks I can spend more time to get back to the hobby.

Anyway, here some small updates that I missed to public (not really much)

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 29 May 2016 at 9:28pm
Hello Markus,

Always nice to see the updates to your work.  It gives me a few ideas and is an incentive to get to work on my own projects.

-- Ernest

Date Posted: 30 May 2016 at 11:31am
Thanks Ernest,
I should have mentioned that the light beige/brown stuff I put on the wood is not the finish surface. It is a mixture of glue & saw dust I put one to get a rough surface on the flat wood and is the base for paint, ground cover and static grass that will come after it hardens. If you do not have a maintained lawn it will make it more realistic even it is a little bit much when you see it in true scale but it ads a more realistic view in my opinion. I'm also able to get tire tracks from cars & trucks in (you can see it on one picture). Since this mixture will get hard as particle wood it will stay that way. As soon as I do the next layer you will get the idea. Wink  

-------------
best, Markus

Posted By: Model Train Projects
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2016 at 12:53am
Hey Markus,

about time for me to look into your thread once more ;)

Very nice BW you got in the making there, a lot space for locos. The buildings are looking good already.

For the ground, try ground rock, very fine, almost like dust. Mix with paint and you got a very nice matte and rough surface. I also got a tip in a German forum to add some very fine saw dust for the areas you like to get coarse ground ( Like you did here ). The people I saw over there are mixing the whole thing directly with paint. So white glue, saw dust and paint. I will add the ground rock to that and see how that goes.

Br

Leif

Date Posted: 06 Jun 2016 at 1:41pm
Leif,
I also mixed paint into the mix but it is hard to get the color right because of the white glue. You need much more paint to get the right tone as you will need if you paint it afterwards.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:15am
This was the first weekend for a long time where I had the time to do something in the ManCave.

I'm trying to get the Shadow Station done so I can start with the wood work for the upper level.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 8:24am
That is a very impressive shadow station, Markus!  And quite a collection of trains.

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 7:31am
Thanks Gordon.

Yesterday I got a picture that looks like a "traffic jam". I setup almost all locomotives on the shadow station for a few reasons.

First, I run and test all locomotives a view times a year to make sure they are fine. More important I want to test a few things like how much space I really have when trains are setup with the cars together.

I didn't have the chance to test it because I encountered a small problem that I not imagined before.
My DCC system was on as I set loco by loco on the layout and with loco 69 everything was fine. I run every loco one by one and switched of after testing all light/sound functions because at this time the boosters are not installed yet, only the Roco Z21. I was running the last loco (US engine with WOW Sound decoder and suddenly when I raised the speed to max. the already integrated electronic circuit breaker tripped of the power and I was unable to get it back on.

I guess the reason for it is when all loco are on the track all decoders drawing some small amount on current because they have to listen to the DCC commands. When I raised the speed to max. it exceeded the current I might set for the breaker circuit (I can setup with CV's different current steps) and then it never went back on. I assume the reason is the short high current draw when the decoders get power back and with 69 locos on the track it easy exceed a 2-3amp setting.

I have planned to use two booster for the shadow station so every Roco booster has to handle twenty engines (plus lighted cars). This is not a problem because I calculated that are a max of four engines can run at the same time and 3-4 Amp. booster power should be enough. What I didn't have pictured is what happens when I switch the layout on Embarrassed

Right now it feels like a K.O. in the first round Ouch and it seems I have to test it further.

Here are some pics from the setup

-------------
best, Markus

Posted By: Model Train Projects
Date Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 8:34pm
Hey Markus,

wait a minute, are those coaches all 1:87 303mm cars !? Well, you got me beaten by far on shadow station track length then ;) My longest of 27 stating tracks is approx 15 feet long.
( 9 for northbound trains, 9 for southbound and 9 for the branch line ( Not built yet, even not the segments ).

PS: you are lucky that your system didn't come on anymore in fact, with that many motorized rolling stock, you might have had "train jam". I shorted my system out because I had one frog polarized the wrong way. Once I got that clear, the power came back on and 4 Train speed away ! Since I only got one train on each track, I just had some minor collisions before I was able to shut the system off. Make sure you got the RailCom DEACTIVATED in every decoder during testing, some flaky info made some of the locos believed they had to resume on full speed, although they been at stand still before the short. It's an intermittent error, it can happen to all decoders with RailCom activated.

Br

Leif

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 7:29am
Leif:

I used to have some strange runaways like this too when I started with DCC.  I found that disabling DC operation in CV29 took care of these.  When the decoder gets its initial power input, it may sometimes confuse the DCC signal with DC, and then the train takes off at full speed if DC operation is on.  With the railcom signal this is more likely to happen since it is slightly unsymmetrical.

Ulrich

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 8:20am
These last two posts are very interesting!  With my Z21 I have had this effect if I forget to disable "screen rotation" on my tablet, and absentmindedly tilt the tablet too far.  I think that I'll try disabling the analog function and see what happens....

Thanks to both of you for this little sidebar.

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 9:04am
Leif, yes what you see on the pictures are all true 1/87 coaches accept the end car of the blue/white coaches and the metronome liners.

If you count the complete length of the track (around 36ft) I have to say "YES" I beat you but this would not be a true statement because the tracks will be divided in four sections of around 9ft. Before I make my final decision on how to divide the tracks I have to setup the trains i like to run and measure how long they really are. I already was surprised how many space the true 1/87 coaches really need so I might have to dedicate for both directions a track that is only divided in 3 sections to accommodate longer trains up to 12ft. or just two up to 18ft. Since most German trains do not run in consist and have only one engine I need to check if the can make the 2,5% helix up to the mainline.

I have to order track from Reynauld's before I can continue and also get the laser engraver out of the room before I can continue with building the second helix.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 11:27am
BTW... I disabled Railcom at the Z21 also because some decoder without Railcom acted strange. I also had a strange experience with one Locomotive. Whenever I switched the power on it was moving (not at full but maybe 1/4) but since I updated my Z21 this fault was gone. But it sounds logical for me to deactivate the DC mode in the decoders so a decoder should never interpret the rail power as DC and hopefully will wait for DCC commands.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 12:48pm
I decided to finish first all the open projects around the layout before I continue to build more.

So the last three evenings I was working on my regular working light and also finished the layout light. If you ask yourself now "what is the difference?" then let me explain it.

Working lights
This is actually the regular room lights you switch on with the wall switch. I exchanged the regular light bulbs with LED's. The specs are 5000k (kelvin), 1650 lm (lumen) with an 80 CRI (Color Rendering Index), non dimmable. What does it mean? The Kelvin is the color temperature and tells you if the light has more of a red color or looks more blue. The Lumen is a term for the light intensity or brightness and the Color Rendering index tells you how accurate the colors will appear in this light source. Higher CRI more accurate colors compare to daylight. The ideal factor for me would be to recreate daylight conditions. The daylight color temperature is between 2000-7000k depending what time but for the most of the day it is between 5000-5500k.

Layout Lighting
I use LED T8 Tubes, dimmable for my day/night cycles with 4500k, 1200lm and a CRI of 95. The color is a little bit more to the red side but with a CRI of 95 the colors look pretty much the same as in the real, not direct sunlight.

Here are some pictures that shows the difference.

Working Light

Layout Light

Working Light

Layout Light

I also repainted my first Track section to the station because my rails look a little bit to rusty as you can see on the following pictures.

Here are some pictures of the Prototype I like to recreate.

And here the tracks after rework. They still look to uniform so i will add some powder colors to change it. If the layout light is on it looks more like the Prototype.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 8:18pm
Had the time to continue a little bit with the upper level frame work

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 12 Jul 2016 at 10:16am
I always enjoy seeing your progress, Markus.  Then I try to imagine what I might do with that kind of space in N scale!

Cheers!
Gordon

Date Posted: 13 Jul 2016 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by el Gato Gordo el Gato Gordo wrote:

I always enjoy seeing your progress, Markus.

Thanks

Originally posted by el Gato Gordo el Gato Gordo wrote:

Then I try to imagine what I might do with that kind of space in N scale!

Crazy things, Gordon Wink

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 10:30am
Got some work done on my small locomotive maintenance building.

Since this has big windows it needs some interior. So I build some maintenance platforms and a small crane out spare materials I collected over the last years (everything can be useful so I do not through it away). Here are some pictures of what i did so far - it is still a work in progress.

Those are left overs from the pit of the round house, if you turn it around you get to small platforms for left and right of the building to better reach locomotives.

I also thought it would be nice to have a platform to get to the roof of a locomotive so I build one out of parts from an old crane.

I also thought they would need some sort of crane but because of the low ceiling height I build a small one from scratch out of left over materials.

I also got an older track that is now abandoned. It was in the old days used to get to the turntable and the round house. Since the they build new tracks for faster trains the way was reroutet and this track not longer needed (at least this is my story around it). They still use a small part of it for sit steam and diesel engines aside. So I placed some brake shoes on the track, just for safety reasons Wink

So next will be to finish the interior to this building, then I will work on the round house and a diesel engine filling station.

Here my first idea.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 14 Jul 2016 at 11:09am
Your weather is fantastic, Markus -

G

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 1:21pm
Thanks, yesterday I had not the time to do much (wife was calling for help) so I started to populate the round house with equipment, boxes and workers. I guess I need a lot more to pack it up so it looks believable and busy from the outside.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2016 at 4:27pm
By the way, are you going to leave a section of roof off so the inside details can be appreciated?

Gord

Date Posted: 16 Jul 2016 at 12:19pm
@ Gordon, noeverything will be closed, the only view to the inside are the existing windows.

I will add a little bit more later but then it will be good because it is hard to make out the details through the windows, they are a little bit blurry.

In the small engine house I added someone to control the crane

I also scratch build a scissor lift but I'm not sure if I put them inside or left it outside an do something more visible with it

That small detail stuff take a lot of time to do....time flies fast.

There is something else I put together because I thought it will fit together good. That might can be a vacuum cleaner, heating unit, pump station, compressor etc.

I also build a small radio tower out of left overs

I plan to finish the small engine house today when I get off work and depending how long it takes also the round house - they need lights installed.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 18 Jul 2016 at 10:49am
Yesterday I was mainly working on the interior lighting of the small engine shed and the round house, but I also spend some time to scratch build a small diesel filling station for my engines.

I also got the interior lights done

The roundhouse has now 114 LED lights installed divided in 9 sections so I can switch the light on for each pit separately. Reason being is that I have a day/night cycle later and I like to switch the lights of when most employees go home but some might have to stay longer or do a night shift. What is not needed will be switched off and I guess it adds more realism.

....to be continued Wink

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 20 Jul 2016 at 10:01am
Detailing cost a lot of time without seeing any progress - after spending three hours gluing small office chairs together and painting clothes for clothes hangers I was so tired and need to do something else.

Getting vegetation on your layout can be easy, just at some turf and ground cover but this days it can be done much better and more realistic. This days it is usually done in layers. If you don't like to have flat soccer field lawn the first way is to make your wood surface uneven. If you have a thin layer of foam board on top you can carve it out or just use some tools to rasp it uneven.

My first layer was a mix of saw dust, white glue and paint what I spread on the wood surface. It adds the right amount of "uneven surface" and it will be rock hard when it is dry.

My second layer is turf and ground cover but has to dry good over night. The third layer is 2mm light green static grass flocks (what I did yesterday).

The next layers are higher static grass with different colors before bushes, weed and trees will be plant.

So here are some pictures of the third layer.

At the following picture you can see the layer build up (1 to 3) from left to right

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 22 Jul 2016 at 12:43pm
Finally, I got four days off but I think my wife will not let me work four days in the man-cave. Anyway I started yesterday with the third to four vegetation/scenery layer and below I will show as always the progress.

Just to explain what I mean by that here is a short legend of my vegetation layers:

1. Ground building layer
If I use a foam layer it come in handy because then I can carve my landscape out, In this case I just have a plain wood surface where I have to build something on top. Just to make the surface rough I use a paste of glue, sawdust and earth color I spackle on.

2. Ground cover layer
Small turf and ground cover that needs to be set in glue and dry good before I can proceed with the third layer

3. Short static grass layer
I use 2mm static grass for this layer what also have to dry off before the next layer can start. Here I use two techniques,  apply glue randomly so you have open spot where no grass is or brush the glue on and use another first some ground cover where the grass should be not stick in large numbers.

4 - 5. Another static grass layer(s)
This time I randomly use a brush to apply glue on top of the 2mm grass and shot 4-12mm fibers in to the glue. This time it is a slightly lighter or darker color as the layer before.

6. small brushes, bushes and weed

7. Flowers, trees etc.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 23 Jul 2016 at 6:47am
Beautiful work, and a wonderful space.  One question: How did you get a man-cave of that size?

By the way, if your wife does not let you disappear into thee man-cave for four days, tell her the following which I read in Model Railroader years ago:  Wives of model railroaders should be very happy, after all they do not have to worry about where they husband might be.

Ulrich

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 12:50am
Ulrich,
true, and she knows it that's why I got the room.

Day 3 of my long weekend is now over, here are the results.

A little bit fun on the side by switching engines around.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 25 Jul 2016 at 9:56pm
Amazing progress!

My computer has been giving me Windows 10 headaches, and leaving me quite on "Edge."  Haven't been able to do much, so this is the first chance to even briefly comment.  Spent an hour with "help" today, and it set me back 10 days.

Cheers for your accomplishments!

Gordon

Date Posted: 26 Jul 2016 at 10:03am
I will avoid Win10 until it will work properly and most major faults are fixed. This usually takes about a year LOL

Here are some pictures from yesterdays progress, now I'm waiting for the second part of my track and switch order from Reynaulds Wink

Almost there - to connect the main line to the helix

Tracks are slowly making process

Branch line is getting along but this type of train will usually not get there.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 10:32am
I had to redo the branch line because it was not straight enough the first time

so this looks much better and more prototypical like

Finally, the first connection between lower and upper level is made and the trains can travel to the first station

Everyone of my trains likes to be the first one to stop on the station....LOL

Here I encountered a small problem, the glass front is to low and has not enough clearence for the trains even if I raise the platform to a level where it will rest later. Not enough room for the overhead wires. So I have to work on it.

BTW....I have to cut the platform off the roof and remove all the details already glued to it. The reason is that I have to custom build a platform for the whole station so it fits perfectly to the track that is not straight. if this is build I add just the roof later.

Also this is the first bridge I had in mind (Roco) but it seems to massive to me now and I might end up with laser-cut my own.

-------------
best, Markus

Date Posted: 28 Jul 2016 at 12:13pm
Markus,

I think most kit platforms are designed with the idea that both the tracks and the platforms are on the same flat surface.  That means that if the track is on a roadbed, the platform will probably need to be elevated.

In addition, in both the U.S. and Europe, there are both high and low platforms for different kinds of rolling stock.  For example, ICE trains and some types of commuter equipment require high platforms where the platform is basically level with the floor inside the door of the passenger car.  (This also makes it much easier for handicapped passengers and passengers with baby strollers to board.)

Many stations on lines served by both ICE and standard passenger trains had to have at least one platform rebuilt for the ICE trains -- which always have to use those platform tracks.

You can have cross platform exchange of passengers between ICE and regular trains, but that means that you begin with a high platform for the ICE and raise the level of the tracks for the regular trains on the other side.

Of course, this may not matter to many modelers.

I have noticed that modern Kibri platform kits come with supplemental pieces that let you adjust the height of the platform, first depending on the type of model track used (with or without roadbed) and then the type of rolling stock (higher platforms for ICE and similar equipment).  So, that way, with or without the spacers, you can achieve three different platform heights.

I realize that none of this may be directly applicable to your situation of there not being enough space under your trainshed for the catenary wires.  But, your comments did prompt the above thoughts which may be of interest to some forum readers.

-- Ernest

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.17 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2013 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk