1970s Fleischmann Engines

I bought a Fleischmann HO set and several engines in the BX while I was overseas in the early 70s. I sold the transformer, track, one engine, accessories, and a Tyco set back in the 2000s. My cousin is a train modeler so I sent him my extra Fleischmann engines. Question is will they run on his U.S. track?

Comments

• Hello JimBob:

Welcome to the forum. The will run on US-track if it is Code 100.

Ulrich

• @BR42 said:
    Hello JimBob:

...They will run on US-track if it is Code 100.

Ulrich

Unless his cousin has an all-digital setup, with no provisions for analog operation.

-- Ernest

• Large-flanged wheels common during that time make a lot of noise on Code 83 track. I have a few newer Roco models that still used the large flanged wheels and there is a discernible, audible, clicking noise as these small Era III coaches traverse the rails on Code 83 track. They run OK, but you can hear the wheels hitting the fish plates. With the locomotive sound on and the rest of the trains running though, you can't hear them.

• @MichaelE said:
    Large-flanged wheels common during that time make a lot of noise on Code 83 track. I have a few newer Roco models that still used the large flanged wheels and there is a discernible, audible, clicking noise as these small Era III coaches traverse the rails on Code 83 track. They run OK, but you can hear the wheels hitting the fish plates. With the locomotive sound on and the rest of the trains running though, you can't hear them.

Yes, but wheels on passenger and freight cars -- unlike those on locomotives -- are typically easy (and not too expensive) to change out. In its recent printed catalogs, Roco usually has two full pages of wheelsets of various sizes and configurations.

My own Roco rolling stock goes back to around 1990 (and possibly somewhat earlier) -- and I have not noticed any problems running any of it on Roco code 83 (Roco Line) track. I did buy a few used Roco cars that came with AC wheelsets, which, of course, I replaced.

I also have a fair amount of Kleinbahn rolling stock, some of which I intend to keep. Almost all Kleinbahn cars were sold with plastic wheelsets. I've replaced almost all of those with metal wheels -- some from Kleinbahn itself, but also using Roco wheels.

-- Ernest

• Actually, I have some experience with old Fleischmann wheels on Atlas Code 83 track. The flanges of the wheels are too high, and make an awful sound on the hardware holding the track to ties. However, the same cars run fine through the two Roco Code 83 switches. I believe the Atlas imitations of the nails and plates is more oversized than on the Roco track.

Ulrich