Marklin s 88 Decoder feedback capacity?

Marklin buff,

I am currently planning a Marklin digital layout that includes a control panel displaying the track diagram. The control panel has 80 pushbuttons and 80 LED's indicating the turnout positions and signal statuses. The control panel was one of the first items I built prior to building the layout. This was prior to computers. Now I would like to incorporate this control panel into my digital Marklin layout. The panel is complete with the exception of adding the decoders.

I own a Central Station 2. The Marklin catalog describes s 88 as a feedback decoder and can be configured especially for track diagram boards with a matrix of up to (64) buttons. Each s 88 has (16) inputs, so if there are (80) pushbuttons I would need (1) L 88 + (4) s 88 decoders, but is this even possible when my number of buttons exceeds the (64) button matrix? How can this be achieved if a matrix is limited to just (64) buttons? Do I start a second matrix where I use (2) L 88 + (3) s 88 decoders both connected to a terminal item #60145? Also need to keep into consideration that I will need (4) s 88 decoders for feedback from the layout.

In addition, how do the (80) LED's pair up with the momentary push buttons? If anyone knows, I welcome your feedback. :/

Comments

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Peter:

As far as I can see each L88 can support up to 31 S88 modules. However, each matrix an have at most 64 buttons, so I believe that you may need to L88's and have separate matrices, one for the two hidden storage yards and one for the main station. As far as I can see it, the outputs of the buttons go to the 8 outputs of the L88, but each group of 8 buttons goes to a different input of the L88.

Ulrich

• Ulrich,
    If I understand you correctly, for the track diagram control board, I will need (2) L88 & (5) s88 modules just for the buttons. I still need to control the LED's which in the Marklin program would be the m84 decoder, but each only has four outputs. This is getting expensive.

What about ESU? Looking at their modules, they have Eco Detector item 50096 each has 16 inputs & Eco Detector Extension item 50095 each has 32 outputs. The description says they are both compatible with the Central Station. Is this a cheaper and better alternative for controlling the track diagram I/O's?

Peter

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Peter:

I do not know the Marklin system in details, but I think you need 1 L88 for the first 64 buttons, and another L88 for the remaining ones. I do not think that you need additional s88 for the buttons. I have not looked very much at the ESU products, but I think that routes like this are implemented in the ESU command station. Probably, the ETE discussion group or https://www.marklin-users.net/ are better sources for the information you are looking for. I have worked almost exclusively with NMRA-DCC. Unfortunately, Marklin has its own implementations of certain procedures which are quite different from the NMRA DCC world. However, even in the latter universe, 80 pushbuttons (conneceted via via Digitrax DS 64s) would get expensive. I would try to reduce the number of buttons to 64.

Ulrich

• Ulrich,

I agree with you when you say that Marklin has differences from the NMRA DCC world and that this can get quite expensive. I'll do some investigating on ETE forum and marklin-users.net forum to see what other information I can find. That's good advice. If I come across anything worth noting, I'll share it with you and anyone else following this conversation.

I'll also take a hard look to see if it will be possible to reduce the number of buttons, but after having the control panels already completed and costs spiraling out of control, I may need to go with a different mindset and scrap the control panels for computer a monitor but I/O's will still need to be communicated with the Central Station II.

I really appreciate all your help in sharing your wisdom and truthful advise. Thank you so much!
    Peter

• Ulrich,
    Update, the Marklin owner's manual for the L88/S88 feedback decoders. "A maximum of 31 S88 units and/or 62 S88AC/S88DC units can be connected to a Link 88." Marklin has a matrix for connecting buttons to control the solenoid accessories. You were correct in saying that only 64 button controllers can be used in a matrix.
    Peter