Universal Supply Unit P/N 60822 for powering K 83/m 83/m 84 decoders

The Marklin catalog is not clear as to the number of decoders you can power from one universal supply unit. If I will need (9) m 83 decoders to operate (34) solenoid activated accessories, how many universal supply units will I need to power all (9) m 83 decoders? The catalog is not clear as it states "One Universal Power Supply Unit is required per group of accessory decoders (note the maximum power limit!)." What do they mean by "per group." What is the allowable maximum amps drawn for a universal supply unit?

Decoders for Accessories
(28) solenoid K-Track turnouts
(6) solenoid K-Track Uncoupler tracks
(what is the current draw for each solenoid?)

Are the m 83 decoders powered from a different power supply than the solenoids? Am I correct in assuming that the decoders power requires a 5V or 12V DC switching power supply and the solenoids require 16V AC power supply?

Comments

• BR42BR42 Auburn
    edited July 2021

Peter:

Are you planning to power your m83 decoders from the track? How many switches are you planning to throw simultaneously? If you throw them one at a time, one 60822 should be enough.

Ulrich

• Ulrich:
    I'm planning to power the m83 decoders from a dedicated power supply. The most switches that would be thrown simultaneously would be two, but mostly one switch at a time. So the quantity of m83 decoders is not concerning, it is how many switches that will be thrown at one time is concerning, is this correct?
    Peter

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Peter:

That is what I deduced from the discussion on some German sides. The documentation for this product is horrible.'

Ulrich

• Ulrich,
    Thanks for your confirmation.

Since we are on the subject of the power supply, does this also apply to the L88 feedback modules? If you have a multiple of s88 feedback modules, (3) in my case, connected to the L88, do you need a dedicated power supply for the L88 module or can you power both L88 and the m83 decoders on the same power supply? The difference here is there could be more than one feedback signal at any given time while a switch or two are being activated at the same time. The Marklin documentation is not clear of what the maximum allowable power load can be momentarily. Do you know where I can obtain any specs on the power supply P/N 60822 that would give us a guideline on the load limit?
    Peter

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Peter:

It is not clear from the Marklin manual if you combine L88 and M83 on the same power supply. However, I would keep the detection power and accessory power separate just to avoid interference. This is the approach I would take if I were to add detection to my layout. However, I use a Digitrax system and they do not require special power packs to power detection decoders, so the costs would be smaller.

Ulrich

• Ulrich,
    Good advice, I'll keep both on different power supplies to play it safe. Thanks for your input.
    Peter

• Ulrich,
    Update, I used one Marklin power supply for all my m83 decoders, item # 60822 plus a switch mode power transformer. The L88 decoder does not need # 60822, it only needs a switch mode power transformer.
    Peter