Roco Z21 DCC System Help ?

Dear Sirs,

I would like to replace my actual DCC system. I am looking to purchase the Roco Z21 DCC system and I really like the specs.

The Z21 is just an interface controller or it' s a complete DCC system with his own power unit ?
or I need an additional extra power unit booster ?

It is a expensive unit and I need to be a 100% sure if it will work with my N layout. 90% of my locos are Fleischmann with sound decoders and Minitrix. I have just a couple Kato Locos with MRC sound decoders.

Kind Regards,

BigFer.

Comments

• Dear BigFer,

The Z21 has a built in booster which delivers 3A. The voltage can be adjusted between 12V and 24V.  I would suggest using 12V for N-scale.  I have looked at the system, and plan to use it to replace my current Digitrax command station.  I highly recommend it.  You might also be able to continue using some components of your old control system as a booster and/or throttle if it is a Lenz or a Roco  system.

Ulrich
  • Thanks Ulrich,

Additional question. System Z21 works in USA ( 110-120 V ) ?

Thanks.

Bifger
  • Dear Bigfer,

It is my understanding that the power supply coming with the system works on all voltages between 110 and 240V since it is solid state like power supplies for laptops.

Ulrich
  • el Gato Gordoel Gato Gordo Colorado Spring

Some additional info:

I have the Z21 system, here in the US of A, and it works well.  I have several Fleischmann, Trix and Kato units, some with sound, some without.  They all run superbly with the Z21 system.

What you get: The command center (sort of a CPU for the trains), a wireless router, various cords, and an instruction book that shows you how to hook up and tells the things that you can do (but not necessarily how to do them.  But since you are already running DCC (and are not a total novice as was I) you should have no difficulty, since you already know about CV's and Functions ~ which I didn't.  If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or extend this thread.

What you don't get: a controller.  But if you have a smart phone or tablet (either iPad or Android based) or a previous controller, then you don't need to buy anything new.  For me, a Luddite, this gave me an excuse to buy a tablet and peripherally join the 21st century....

Although I personally had a number of hiccups due solely to my inexperience with digital, I highly recommend the Z21.

Gute Reise,

Gordon

• jvernejverne Los Angeles
    I'm looking for someone in Southern California who would be willing to work with a fellow Z21 owner to troubleshoot his layout and see why he is having issues with his turnout controls. This help would be well compensate for.
    Thanks,
    John
    323-292-1678

• el Gato Gordoel Gato Gordo Colorado Spring

Hi, John -

A few questions about your layout. 

1.   What kind of track and turnouts are you using?
    2.   What type/brand of turnout motors?
    3.   Are you trying to control the turnouts digitally, or directly by turnout switches?
    4.   What is your power source for the turnout motors?

Colorado is a bit too far for hands on help, but folks on the wire here may be able to help you get the problems ironed out.

On my N scale layout I am using Tortoise motors (which require two identical transformers) to control my PECO turnouts on the main line.  I control them with ordinary single pole, double throw toggle switches.

On my spur, which is Fleischmann Piccolo track, I am using the Fleishmann motors, which require a single transformer, but a double throw, momentary contact switch.  For these, I am using Atlas turnout switches.

I don't have the requisite attention span to control all my trains AND all my turnouts with my Z21 system.  Thus my trains are controlled by Tablet, via Z21, and the turnouts by a diagrammed set of electrical switches.

So, tell us some more about your system, and perhaps we can help.

Cheers & beers!
    Gordon
  • John do live in LA?  I can check to see if we have any experts in your area.

Thanks

Rey
  • jvernejverne Los Angeles
    Rey, Yes I do live in Los Angeles.
    Thanks,
    John
  • Ok will see if I can find you someone.

Thanks

Rey