Turnout controls

I am currently using the Mobil Station and manual switches.

I would like to put electric power on some switches first using the control boxes, then moving some switches to DCC controlled by a Central startion, some switches electric with the control boxes and some just manual.

What power source do I use on stage one, just electric motors and control box?  Will it also power a Central Station?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hello Charles

Welcome to our forum.

For stage one, any power pack with a 12-15 Volt AC output and at least 1 Amp will do.

For the Central Station you need the Maerklin Power Pack #60065. Don't use anything else unless you know all about electricity and some electronics.

What is the power pack you are currently using ? How soon do you plan on getting the Central Station? Choo Choo2015-02-12 18:09:39
  • Hello Charles:

I would skip the intermediate stage, and go directly to control via stationary decoders.  Wiring the switches will be a lot of work since two wires have to go from each switch to the control box, another one to a bus wire.  All this work becomes wasted once you go to the final stage.  The same holds for the control boxes. 

Ulrich

• Hi Charles

Now there is another question.

Are you using C-track or K-track?
  • MoPac1MoPac1 United States
    C track
  • MoPac1MoPac1 United States
    Currently using Mobile Station, not sure about Central Station timing but it sure gets good reviews.
  • Hi Charlie

If you are planning to buy the CS2 I would get the 60065 power pack now and use the power supply you already have for the turnouts. That would be one good way to go about it.

Whether one controls switches with analog control boxes or digital decoders is strictly a matter of personal choice.

The nice thing about C tracks is that you can install the Maerklin made decoder right under the road bed and connect them to the switch motor.