DCC

GeroGero Greensboro, NC

I bought a Fleischmann Steam Loco BR 999, without realizing it didn't have the necessary decoder to run on my track.  Rey suggested I return it and have them install the decoder and sound.  But I am wondering whether that's something I can (and should be) able to do myself.  Thoughts?

Comments

• This is a difficult, almost impossible question to give a solid answer to without knowing more about you and your technical background. Besides that, the BR 999 is a very small engine with very limited space to install a loco sound decoder.

If you have never worked with small electronics before, I would not recommend you try this to start with as you take the risk of losing the decoder caused by errors during the installation process. This particular job is best left to an experienced technician, in my opinion. I would therefore follow Rey's advice.

Maybe Leif can advise you otherwise.
  • Hello,

I agree with Choo Choo, if you never did one before, this one is one step to high. I got the T3 myself and installed a Decoder ( Not visible, milling required ). Sound is possible with speaker enclosure under the roof ( custom made ).

If you want to get it right, send it back to Reynaulds, I will take care of it and install a prototypical T3 sound.

PS: I'm the repair man for Reynaulds.

Br

Leif
  • GeroGero Greensboro, NC
    Choo Choo, Leif,
    Thank you both. It's going back to Reynauld's!