Compatibility of 1970s analog set and New digital set

I have been gifted a Marklin 1970s train set (looks like 5200 series M track) with two lokos + wagons. I also have several Delta and Digital lokos that run on latest C track. I have assembled the 1970s set that uses a 220 V blue transformer (with a 220/110 V convertor) and it works beautifully: speed control, forward/backward, etc. I have placed the analog lokos on the C track and they run, but cannot control speed, nor change direction. I have not run my delta/digital looks on the old metal track. Would appreciate help with following:

1. I understand analog lokos can be converted via a digital board. Once converted, i know I can control them on the digital C track( and integrate them with my new lokos), BUT will they operate on the old metal track ?

2. Would digital/delta lokos run on old metal track? a) do I use old blue transformer, or b) new digital transformer? I read the digital board may be affected negatively if use old transformer.

3. Following 2 above, Can I combine both tracks? (I assume there is an adaptor track piece? If so, do I use only the digital transformer and safely run the delta/digital engines? (plus I assume the converted analog to digital.ones).

Many thanks for comments/guidance

Salvador Gonzalez - California

Comments

• RailwriterRailwriter Durham, NC

Salvador,

I had hoped that someone who used and followed Märklin would have replied by now. But, ...
    While I do not use Märklin equipment and am not familiar with the specific products that you have, I may still be able to offer some useful information -- or at least some things to think about.

First, in terms of terminology:
    What digital locomotives use to respond to digital commands from a digital control station is called a decoder. While it is actually a small circuit board with a number of computer chips, it is not normally referred to a a circuit board -- to keep it from being confused with the main circuit board within the locomotive, which actually (on current model locomotives) contains the socket for the decoder.
    In the 1980s manufacturers began installing circuit boards in analog locomotives -- even before there were thoughts of or provisions for digital decoders. The circuit boards helped replace the rat's nest of wiring that filled many older models, with wires going from track pickups and to the motor and accessory devices such as lights. The circuit boards helped tremendously with the routing of those circuits, and, in some cases actually contained mounting locations for the locomotive lights --- depending on the type of locomotive.
    If you have old locomotives without a main circuit board, the task of converting the locomotive from analog to digital will be much more daunting. For some older analog locomotives with circuit boards, but no sockets for a digital decoder, you can actually buy upgrade kits that include a new circuit board with a decoder socket. Installing one of these upgrade kits simply involves unsoldering a few wires from the old circuit board, and then resoldering them to the new circuit board. Both the old and new circuit boards are held in place with screws. (I've done this with an older Roco locomotive.)

While digital model railroad operation was first proposed as early as the 1960s. the first practical systems did not appear until the 1980s and standards that allowed equipment from multiple manufacturers to work together were not firmed up until the 1980s and 1990s. By about 2000, digital was developed enough that even most analog locomotives were now prepared for digital operation with provision for installation of a decoder.

In looking for some basic information on Märklin digital, I found that Wikipedia had a fairly good overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A4rklin_Digital

If the above link does not work, simply go to Wikipedia and search "Märklin Digital" in the English version.
    (Wikipedia has a substantial amount of basic information on both model and prototype railroading. The German version has prototype information on almost every European locomotive type, current and historical.)

Delta
    Delta is actually an early and simplified version of Märklin Digital. that has some compatibility with the current Märklin system, but also some limitations. My understanding is that on most Delta locomotives there is a pre-assigned digital address, which cannot be changed by the user.-- though Märklin has issued some user-installable upgrades which do allow selection of a limited number of addresses.
    Track
    The main difference between digital and analog track (in both DC and AC systems) is that analog track typically has capacitors designed to suppress radio frequency interference. These capacitors interfere with the digital signals used to control locomotives. In some cases the capacitor is only in the connection track -- and can be easily removed. You need to investigate this further. If all the analog tracks you have have these installed, they are unsuitable for digital operation.

AC peculiarities
    AC electrical motors, unlike those in DC cannot easily change direction. In DC, the motor changes direction with the change of polarity in the supply current. In AC, there is, of course, no polarity.
    So, in early analog AC model locomotives, direction was changed with an electrical relay, that is activated by an extra burst of electricity from the control transformer.
    On modern locomotives, this is handled electronically. You no longer need the physical relay.
    I cannot imagine that the extra burst of reversing electricity would be particularly good for a decoder, though, again, I do not have experience with this.

The bottom line
    Your Delta equipment is (somewhat) compatible with the modern Märklin digital system. It may also operate on an analog system -- depending on some factors.
    Your old analog AC equipment could possibly be upgraded to digital operation -- but it would probably be expensive and time-consuming. So, my advice here is to think very hard about whether this would be worth it. Unless the old items have huge sentimental value, you may be better off selling the old equipment to a collector -- if it has such value -- and acquiring new digital equipment. The new equipment with have more modern electrical motors, which will run smoother and quieter.

I hope that helps.
    -- Ernest

• Thank you very much for your input