Planning new Euro Layout - as yet unnamed

But first, much prep to be done. This is the space I'm planning to use - my former woodshop which currently shares space with my Rheinland-Bayern Bahn (plus extension yard):

The yard extension (foreground in first pic) and the R-BB layout are under dust covers. There is much to be done. Everything that is not trains must be moved to the former hay barn, or elsewhere. Then the broken windows , currently covered by foam insulation and plywood, must be replaced. Followed by insulating the entire room, walls and ceilings, preparatory to doing sheet rock. The cost of this will, I hope, be born by the sale of my horse, who bucked me off and tore up my right shoulder back on Cinco de Mayo.

Meanwhile, I'll be working on track plans for this 18' x 22' space. As you may remember, I'm not into operations, though I may do one or two small industries, such as a brewery and it's various suppliers. I'm trying to keep the plan somewhat simplistic, but will be modeling Netherlands on one side, Germany in the middle, and Austria/Switzerland on the other side. Simple, right?

All sections will be linked by high speed rail. Each will have local loops. As yet this project is nameless.
Cheers!
Gordon

Comments

• el Gato Gordoel Gato Gordo Colorado Spring
    edited July 2019

The previous post was the status as of the beginning of June. I have since made much progress on moving and organizing the woodshop despite the badly torn rotator cuff. Still much more to do before I can think about insulating and sheetrocking this room. Lately it has been too hot to work out there in the barn after about 10:00 am, so in the afternoons I've been fiddling with AnyRail6 working on a track plan for this space.

At the top of the layout is a wall. To the left there is a 16" walkway between the layout and the wall. I've been contemplating this for some years and accumulating structure kits and trains. As noted, there is a long way to go before I can start benchwork, but with luck, this winter will see the beginning.

• michaelrose55michaelrose55 Orange City, FL

That looks really promising! Can't wait to see it take shape :) .

Thanks, Michael. I'll be plugging away at clearing the room for quite some time. Amazing the amount of stuff one accumulates in 21 years. Before this place I never lived in one dwelling longer than 5 years. Moving forces one to cull the unnecessary items.

• RailwriterRailwriter Durham, NC

Gordon,
    Don't forget about the overhead lighting -- both for work on the layout and for later operation.

You probably want to work on that before you begin major construction on the layout itself.

LED strips are inexpensive -- and dimmable. And they don't use much power. I think Michael wrote about that long ago in connection with a previous version of his layout..

The room where I am building my layout already had overhead track lighting. I have already replaced all the old bulbs with LED bulbs. But, I've also added LED strips on the ceiling over the Stein peninsula. Those are both white LEDs and a strip of blue LEDs for night operation. Both are dimmable so that I can adjust the lighting.

-- Ernest

Thanks, Ernest! Once I get all the crap (aka tools, benches and lumber) out of the way, I'll be redesigning the lighting arrangement. This, of course, is best done before insulation and sheet rock.

I like your idea of using blue LEDs for night lighting. Dimming is definitely the way to go.

This afternoon I took a lesson from Michael's staging area and eliminated a dead end yard under the peninsula. Instead I drew a double ended yard with 8 tracks plus a programming track under the Swiss/Austrian section. This is N scale, and each track in the staging yard is 72".

Planning will continue until I'm finished laying track, no doubt.

I've got that great little brewery by Modellbahn Union to go on the south side of the peninsula. Now I need to figure out trackside structures for shipping hops and barley to support the brewery.

Gordon,

If you have the space for it, go for a 9-track staging yard. That's what I am using (in HO.

The reason: Nine tracks require eight switches on each end. Eight switches works out just right for an eight-port switch decoder. So two decoders are exactly right for the entire yard. And these can be located right at the ends of the yard, cutting down on a lot of wiring.

I have come to the conclusion that I will use occupancy detection for some of the hidden tracks, including the staging yard and helix -- using multiple Viessmann 5206 occupancy detectors. Just this week, I figured out how to wire the detectors to illuminate LEDs in a panel I am building myself. Right now, I plan to use two occupancy sections per staging track -- the reasons for which would take somewhat long to explain.

I'm not going to try to automate much -- beyond using route control to set a number of switches at the same time. But the display will let me follow trains in the hidden trackage and remind me of which tracks are occupied. (Well, I can actually look under the layout, too.)

-- Ernest

edited July 2019

Good advice! Actually, 8 tracks plus the programming track make 9. The programming track is simply another yard track, isolated, and with a little more finger room between it and the next track.

Here is the "current" track plan for staging. On the right, Plan 1, was my initial concept. On the bottom left is the revised edition, Plan 2:

I can see the wisdom of the double ended design when I think about my 8 car Rheingold either backing down to the yard or, worse, trying to back up out of the yard and around the helix. I'm planning on at least 10" of clearance between the yard deck and the beams for the layout above. Also trying to maintain no more than a 2% grade.

Cheers!

Gordon

https://forum.reynaulds.com/index.php?p=/discussion/664/n-scale-layout-rheinland-bayern-bahn/p1

Some suggestions on the nscale.net forum caused me to rethink how this yard is being designed. Putting it on a diagonal puts all of the turnouts near the edge, which will make wiring easier and better access in case of derailments (no one ever has derailments at turnouts, right?) Wiring will be done underneath, but the various electronics can be mounted in the area of the loop towards the bottom of the pic.

So, Plan 3 is the current concept. Plan 1 just is here to demonstrate the evolution.

Cheers!

Gordon

Rheinland-Bayern Bahn

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Gordon

Plan 2 is more practical, I have something similar to Plan 1. However, it forces me to give all my locos a more regular workout since an engine change is required after the train has run over the layout. I usually do not back my trains into the stub tracks except the two or three locals. With Plan 2, I would be more tempted not to change the engines so often.

Ulricch

Thanks for the input, Ulrich! What advantages or disadvantages do you see comparing Plan 2 to Plan 3?

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Gordon:

It seems to me that Plan 3 gives you longer tracks. Also, you can add a few more. I would go for maximum number. I started with 10 thinking it would be ample, and had to work hard to get 6 more in place. You can never have enough storage. I run the late 50s and early 70s, and have 17 trains for each period. All but a local are parked in the hdden storage yard, the last one in the platform of the stub-end station. Probably add 2 more tracks at the bottom for it and a rail car.

Ulrich

That's the way I figured it, also. Building this will take quite some time and a few Euros. I hate to think of the cost of the turnouts for the staging area alone. A couple of turnouts leading nowhere would make later expansion easier.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

Gordon

• Excellent track plan Gordon, I just hope Michael does not get inspired by your N-scale layout. He might want to go back into his N-Scale mode. I am so hoping Michael finishes this great layout.

Me, too! Glad to see him returning to German modelling, though, even if it is the Horribly Oversized scale.

Making progress on clearing the future train room, ever so slowly. Then comes windows, insulation, and sheet rock, maybe in November.

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Gordon:

Down here in Alabama Summer is the best time to work on the train, too hot and humid to do anything else. Have fun getting the room ready.

Ulrich

edited August 2019

Gordon,

Are you planning a connection to your existing portable layout? I can imagine that a long bridge that can be disconnected at both ends might work.

-- Ernest

If the room (former woodshop) were climate controlled I could get more done. As it is, Ulrich, I can only work on it for a couple of hours in the morning and then for short periods throughtout the day. The sun at 6,000 ft altitude can be brutal and it sure heats up the shop. That's why I want new windows, insulation, and sheet rock. Maybe even an attic vent.

Ernest, a bridge is something I'm contemplating. The current layout actually has a turnout and stub siding for such a project. I need to plan a turnout on the new layout, but I think that height difference will be a problem to be solved. The current layout is set fairly low so little kids can see the trains when I take it to shows. Still thinking about it. Plenty of planning time yet.

Cheers!

Gordon

So today I spent a few minutes toying with the idea of a bridge between the old and new layouts when a disturbing thought occurred. My existing layout is controlled by a Z21. My brother, Fred, is liquidating his model railroading stuff and gave me his Z21 and tablet, which I plan to use to control the new layout.

So, here comes my BR 401 ICE 1 from the existing layout, controlled by Z21-A and encounters the bridge or new layout, controlled by Z21-B. This does not sound like a good encounter. Comments?

Cheers!

Gordon

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Gordon:

You should not have more than one command station. Maybe the second Z21 can be configured to operate as a booster, and be your backup command station. My DCS200 is the command station, the Zephyr is configured as a booster. If the DCS200 dies and goes to Digitrax for repairs, I will reconfigure the Zephyr.

Ulrich

Gordon,

While this situation has the potential for problems, I don't think this is a situation that cannot be solved -- safely.

First, does your existing portable layout run completely off the main Z21 box, or do you use any boosters?

I assume you will need some boosters for the new, much larger layout.

-- Ernest

The existing layout has no boosters; that Z21 runs the entire layout on a single set of buss wires.

For simplicity's sake I'm thinking two separate layouts would be best. After all, trains are easily moved from one to another with my cartridge system.

Thanks and cheers,

Gordon

To me, the simplest solution would be to feed your portable layout from a booster -- and have an insulated track break -- insulated joiners in both rails -- on your bridge. Provided the polarity is correct, your trains will be able to run over that electrical break without any problems -- as they would between booster districts on any layout..

When operating the layout on the go, plug in a booster bus cable between your portable Z21 and the booster. When operating at home, connect the booster bus cable from the booster on the portable layout to the booster bus from your Z21 box for your home layout.

A basic booster (the Roco "light" booster) and its power supply should run you somewhere between $100-$200. I think that investment would be worth while for being able to run trains directly between the two layouts.

There are some other possible solutions that would work but the above appears to me to be the simplest.

Just make sure you do not duplicate any turnout or other accessory addresses between the two layouts.

-- Ernest

I think you are right, Ernest. I've also been wondering whether the new layout, as planned, should be divided into two districts. One to be fed directly from the Z21 and the other from a booster.

Cheers!

Gordon

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Yes, I agree. Roco offers boosters, so does Lenz. Given the latge number of different connectors on the Z21, a Digitrax, CVP or other booster should work.
    Ulrich

Meanwhile, back to clearing the room. After 5 weeks of work I have one wall cleared and two benches ready to be moved to the new shop. I'll need to recruit help for that as I have a torn rotator cuff and my wife has 5 broken ribs plus a rotator cuff injury. Horses!

Getting an estimate on replacing the two windows next Tuesday. Both are currently broken and the space plugged with foam board.

Cheers!

Gordon

• michaelrose55michaelrose55 Orange City, FL

Gordon, I really miss Colorado but the horses I can do without... All they ever did is eat my money and try to get me out of the saddle!

I have the room all but cleared. Looking for a source of ISOboard so I can shortcut insulating and sheet rock.

I've been researching malt production and hops processing so there will be support for my brewery. If anyone knows of fotos of modern Malzfabrik or Hopfenfabrik I'd sure appreciate seeing them. Especially aerial pics. Google Images hasn't been much help.

My wife persuaded me to build another layout to take to train shows. I ended up doing a Swiss scene on an 11'x4' table on wheels. The tracks are laid, and wired on three levels, and trains running. On the left is a mountain with a scratchbuilt Piz Gloria, served by a Brawa Seilbahn, which someone gave me. I cannot build the surface terrain of the mountain until Sommerfeldt ships some Swiss style catenary masts.

The lower right is modeled after Interlaken. Across the track from Interlaken Ost Bhf is the Aare River and a scratchbuilt tourboat.

I've also scratchbuilt a compressed copy of the Interlaken Ost Bhf.

That's all for now!

• I love it! It has everything I love in a Swiss Modelleisenbahn.