Painting catenary

In a post some time ago, Gordon mentioned painting catenary wire prior to installation to improve its appearance..

This isn't really a new concept. I'ts been around for a while. Sommerfeldt even offers a special paint for that purpose.

I've been doing some paint tests myself -- over a period of time -- and have not been happy with the results, including with the Sommerfeldt paint. In all cases, there are problems getting an even coat in a single application -- and with the paint adding to the thickness of the wire, which is already out of scale.

In my tests, all the applications have been with a brush -- or with a Testors paint marker (sort of like a super magic marker, except that it uses permanent paint.) I have not used spray paint, as I don't have an airbrush and as spraying would appear to be quite wasteful, comparing the area sprayed and the actual area to be covered. (I do spray paint structure components -- with small model paint spray cans.)

So, Gordon, what has been your experience with this? How are you applying the paint, and what brand of paint are you using?

Thanks. -- Ernest

Comments

• Ernest:

I have been thinking about painting my catenary, but have stayed away from it since I am not sure whether the painting would have a negative impact due to the thickness of the paint. Your posting confirms this, I think I just live with the "natural" color.

Ulrich

• michaelrose55michaelrose55 Orange City, FL

@BR42 said:
    Ernest:

I have been thinking about painting my catenary, but have stayed away from it since I am not sure whether the painting would have a negative impact due to the thickness of the paint. Your posting confirms this, I think I just live with the "natural" color.

Ulrich

I've been thinking the same. Might also have to do with me being lazy and having to paint a lot of catenary???