Just checking in

RailwriterRailwriter Durham, NC

Hello all,

I hope everyone is okay and coping well with the rapidly changing new normal of the current pandemic.

It appears most of us will be spending a lot more time at home in the near future, which may actually help us get a bit more done on our model railroad projects. (I know I have quite a number of unbuilt -- and partially built -- kits that might finally get some attention.) But, it may also cause us problems or delays in getting model items we want. Among other things, the effect on commerce between Europe and the U.S. is still unclear. (And, many items offered by European model companies are actually produced elsewhere in the world, or, at least include components from elsewhere in the world.)

Though I have never met participants in this forum, I do consider you parts of my community.

So, even if you don't have specific updates on ongoing projects, just post a line or two from time to time, to let the rest of know how you are doing -- and to let us know that our community is still out there.

Stay well,

-- Ernest

Comments

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Dear Ernest:

Thanks for your comments. Our university just went to online courses for the next four weeks, and the transition is a major stress. Once things cleared up, I hope to get back to do some stress reducing modelling. I hope that everyone stays healthy.

Ulrich

• Doing fine here. I'm contemplating either adding a third rail to run HOm on the ÖBB branch line, or replacing the track entrely with dual gauge HO/HOm track from Tillig.

I've been watching a lot of narrôw gauge cab rides on the RhB routes inSwitzerland that really have me interested in a narrow gauge railway.

• RailwriterRailwriter Durham, NC

Good to heard from you, Michael.

For Austrian narrow gauge, you would want HOe, not HOm. Most Austrian narrow gauge lines are 760mm.

Tillig also makes HO/HOe tracks, so that you could have dual gauge. However, the dual gauge is most common only in station areas, beyond which, the narrow gauge splits off on its own. Zell am See is a good example of a station with some dual gauge trackage. Of course, you could have dual gauge going some distance up the branch, then branching off into a tunnel that contains a turning loop. With narrow gauge, you can have some very small radii.

There were also some Austrian stations served by a purely industrial narrow gauge line, with dual gauge tracks in the transload part of the station.

One of the first Blog articles I did for the Reynauld's Blog was on European narrow gauge:

blog.reynaulds.com/index.php/comparing-u-s-and-european-narrow-gauge/

I like narrow gauge, too. But, unfortunately, adding narrow gauge to my layout would have meant crowding in one too many elements. (I do plan to have a slight nod to narrow gauge in an industrial area with some narrow gauge track embedded in the surface and some dummy narrow gauge dollies.)

The great news is that Roco has lots of Austrian-based narrow-gauge models at very reasonable prices, including start sets. (Some of these models have been around long enough for Roco to more than recoup the initial investment -- letting Roco now sell variants of these models at lower prices.) There's also a good selection of Roco narrow gauge on the used market.

-- Ernest

• It's actually Swiss narrow gauge that I'm thinking about doing.

I still haven't decided how I'm going to go about it yet. It's more time consuming I think, to install stub ties and solder new rail in than ripping up 70' of track and starting over with dual gauge track. But it would be easier. And with the gauge tools and rail bender available to me it should make it all the more easy.

Michael,

As you look at your options, you may want to consider the following: You cannot have both gauges electrified in dual-gauge track. That would impose all sorts of problems. I mentioned the dual-gauge trackage in the station area of Zell am See, Austria. In that case, the standard gauge line is electrified; the narrow-gauge line operates with diesels -- and sometimes heritage steam.

Catenary needs to be as close to the center of the tracks as possible, and, with dual gauge, you have two different track centers. In addition, standard and narrow gauge lines have different catenary standards (including height of catenary) -- and may even operate on different voltages. So, you could not have standard-gauge equipment -- even non-electric -- under narrow-gauge electrification.

We all face the situation of wanting things on our layouts that don't quite fit in. Sometimes we have to reluctantly decide that one thing or another just will not fit or work, given our circumstances (space, time, resources, etc.).

Do let us know what you decide.

-- Ernest

• I'm operating only Diesel on the branch line, but if I were to go ahead with making this dual gauge with narrow gauge catenary, why the limitation on operating Diesel standard gauge on this line?

Narrow gauge catenary is normally lower, which would put it dangerously close to full-sized standard-gauge equipment.

-- Ernest

• Something I'll have to check up on. These Swiss locomotives look pretty large to me. If they didn't say they were narrow gauge I wouldn't have known the difference.

• Just rejoining. Had serious heart issues for the last couple of years. Have moved and want to redo my HO/HOe loop around my office library that I had before.Chuck Walters

• Hi. Chuck again. Was signed in as tautemarite on military railroads. Mine was the last post in 2019. Had hoped there would be more interest.

• @Railwriter said:
    Narrow gauge catenary is normally lower, which would put it dangerously close to full-sized standard-gauge equipment.

-- Ernest

No problem with clearance height of standard gauge locomotives. I installed several RhB test masts with wire between two of them and there is plenty of clearance at 67mm.