ESU Lokpilot in Marklin BR 53 (3301)

Dear Forum,
I'm planning to do my first upgrade.
I have a BR 53 (Marklin 3301) which was my first "real" loco after playing with Marklin Alpha as a kid. I always kept it in perfect condition and it has a special place in my collection. Nowadays it bothers me a little that it doesn't run as smooth as the modern locos and the lights behave analog even running it "digital" so I started to think about upgrading it. It has a DELTA decoder and the older motor.
I asked my dad who has a huge collection and he got me a "Marklin Digital 60760 High Efficiency Locomotive Motor & Decoder Conversion Set".
After lots of research I am wondering if it would be worth adding an ESU LokPilot decoder to further improve the characteristics.
Do you think it makes sense and which decoder would you choose? Is there a good website with information?
Thanks for your opinion and help.

Tobias

Comments

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Dear Tobias:

We all have locomotives in our collections which have a special place in our hearts. I would suggest to try the locomotive with the conversion set your dad got you. If it runs to your satisfaction, I would not do more.

It is great to share the hobby with your dad, mine started me in model railroading, and it was bond between us for a long time. The last trip we took together was during a visit to Germany in 1999 where we saw a model train exhibition layout, and I have fond memories of it.

Ulrich

• Hi Ulrich,
    Thanks for your answer. I will do as you recommend and try the Marklin conversion kit.

My dad got us Alpha kits when we were 6 and started building a large layout with us when we were around 12. I grew up with Marklin, we have lots of very old stuff, not just model trains. The metal building kits were awesome. I lost interest for over 10 years and was working a lot in Asia before moving to the US in 2014. I got myself a Z starter kit with multiple extension packs and some locos. Now I have kids and when grandpa showed them his collection and gave them my Alpha stuff I had no choice and started again in H0. Last year 6 big suitcases full with tracks, cars, some locos and building supplies were transferred (Before Covid-19 I was travelling to Europe 6 times a year). This year I decided to switch to digital and ordered a kit from Reynaulds. So far we play on the floor but once the kids are old enough I will do what my dad did and start building a layout with them. Some of the material is now in the fourth generation and it's great that it still works. I have boxes full with M tracks I got from my dad and his uncle and Marklin still supports them by offering adapter-tracks to connect old and new.
    It's a great hobby and I'm glad I picked up interest again.

Tobias

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Dear Tobias:

I love the story of you, your kids and your father playing with the trains together. There is a lot of M-track available on Ebay in case you need more.

Ulrich