Noch - Heidelberg

I just received the Left and Right ends I needed to complete my basic Heidelberg Layout.!
I now have 4 trains up and running. Hidden Track is a single track at this time. I am still working out some minor clearance issues. I also have 2 Kof engine to help with switching and moving cars. I plan to add electric digital switching and some signal control. I am using my CS2 and this will be my first home digital layout.

Comments

• Mitch:

Great, have tons of fun with your new layout. Please keep sharing pictures with us.

Ulrich

• Very nicely done. Very clean.
    I like the Br.120 on the inside track in the second picture. Do you have a side shot of that? I'd like to see the graphic.

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

This was the first day of set up and operations. I was running up to 3 trains and had 12 on the layout. 6 hours went by... stopped for lunch and it was diner time... LOL

Today I plan to install switch motors, decoders and lanterns in some of the turnouts. The ones on the upper level will be done first. I have run digital engines before, but this will be my first layout that is fully digital. The layout is sitting on 3 small folding tables for now and set up in the living room. I plan to move it to my office and in the future add more modules from Noch to make an "L" shaped layout our make my own additions. Notice I used the 'control board' for more track work. This way I have engine movements and place for freight cars in 2 locations.

The Br120 is a 'basic' digital model with headlights and speed control only, I have a few engines with graphics on them... this one is my Christmas Engine.

More fun to follow...

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

I am starting to connect motors, decoders, and lanterns. Six finished so far. I am covering bottom of switches with blue painters tape to tuck in all wires nicely and label switches with number and also recording on my track diagram. I am entering switchlist in my CS2. I do not have a track plan in that yet, need to do my homework.

Eventually I plan to have layout in my office and use my computer to control layout and CS2 with two extra mobile stations to control trains.

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

I loaded the turnouts (6) into my CS2, and this makes the layout much more enjoyable and easy to operate, as these are out of reach from my operating position. I did not load the layout schematic into the CS2 yet, but can control the turnouts from the 'keyboard' tab in the CS2.

I also removed the water tower in front and replaced with the classic Märklin work crane.

For now I have placed a few classic Marklin signals in place, I plan to use Hobby Digital Signals as the layout develops.

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

The 'Hamburger' just pulled into the station as a Multi Unit of a pair of Austrian Mak's pulls a long beer train past the station.

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

Hello All,
    I just ordered the Noch straight module to extend the station area by another 2 feet. I am currently in the process of moving the layout to its final location in my office room. Here is a diagram of what the proposed track diagram will look like. I may need to adjust track plan to fit the space exactly. The basic Dogbone will be the 4 modules from Noch (I currently have 3). The other tracks will be on layout table and shelf units that I will build to blend into the Noch Modular Layout.

There are 2 doors and a crawl space access that I have to work around in this room, but I will make it work out. There will be a bridge (to duck under) to exit door to garage on top right of diagram. I think there is more space in my room than what is shown on the CAD drawing. You enter the room at the bottom of the drawing and that door is clear.

I left out the drawing the hidden tracks that go under the Station and Straight modules. I have several push pull trains that I will stage and park at the lower tracks in the diagram.

I'll update again when I receive the extra Noch Module that Reynauld's is sending me now. I will be working on the supports for now until I receive the new Straight Module.

Mitch

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

Here is a picture of the first module moved into position. I will fabricate the support structure from 1x4 material. I will have 2 feet of space behind the modules to have access to trains inside the hiding area. The layout will be close to the wall on the left side as there will be no hidden trains there. I plan to have another small train station and freight area... possibly a turntable in the future, in that new area that I will add onto the Noch Layout.

• edited January 2021

Very nice work.

Offer withdrawn after further extensive research.

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

Thanks for your offer, but I have so many engines I am thinking to reduce my inventory also. It is a nice looking engine, but I will decline at this time as I am allocating my funds towards the layout and plan to start purchasing digital signals for the layout.

I was thinking of using pink insulation for the 4x6 area but had a few 'module' boards (2x4) in storage. So I inserted three of them for now. I need to repaint and flock them to match the Noch. I will shim up the Noch module to better transition to the 4x6 area.
    I should be receiving the next module by next week and plan to be ready to have the layout up ready to insert that module and have the layout up and running.

Decided to use 4x4 for legs, I color matched the Noch light brown to paint legs and trim and future layout area.

At the end of the day I have this done. I need to adjust the frame just a bit as I found out the room is not square.

I plan to have all the framework done and ready to slip in the new module when it arrives. I will continue construction of the framework and move the other 2 modules I have into position in the next few days.

Mitch

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

End of Day 2:
    Here is a smaller track plan that I can start to set up for now.
    I will have the basic Heidelberg set up tomorrow and will be able to move the right side over to accept the straight section when I get that next week.

Cheers, Mitch

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

Placement of some buildings... tomorrow track goes back down.

• Mitch:

It looks really nice. Thanks for sharing your progress with us.

Ulrich

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

Thanks... I'm having fun.
    What I really like about M track and now even more with C track is how easy it is to adjust the layout. Moreover with turnouts that are digital they are totally self contained and I can move them and change them up as I need to.
    I have a 2x4 foot board as a stand in until I receive the Noch module for Reynauld's. My board is actually 24 - 1/4 " wide and the Noch is 60 cm wide so I am not making the final connections until I get the Noch.
    That extra 60 cm gives me a lot more working room in front for breaking and sorting freight cars. The uncouplers are in place to break apart cars. I have 3 diesel engines with telex coupling so they can drop off a train or a car anywhere on the layout.

Here is a picture of an overview of the layout. I added a spur track so a Railbus can get to the city station on the 4x6 foot area. I will have 2 railbus stops and the main train station on the top of the center of the Noch Layout. I will be adding a little more support around the curve and at the City Area.

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

Happy New Year and the Package arrived today on time.
    I will spend the remainder of the day setting up the track and aligning the modules. I will made the fill in piece in front of the straight module out of 1 inch pink foam. I shimmed it up for proper height, that front piece is 20 cm x 60 cm. I painted it with the color match paint I got from Home Depot. I also used this paint to touch up the left module that got bumped in shipment and some paint chipped off.
    I'll update tomorrow after I run some trains and see that everything is working.

Thanks to the Reynauld's team to stocking these hard to find items.

Mitch

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

End of the Day 4:
    12 Engines on layout with 6 trains running

Tomorrow starts the finish work and details... to be continued!

• Mitch:

Comes together nicely. The additional length really helps, a layout can never be long enough.

Ulrich

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

Yes, that extra 2 feet (60 cm) makes a big difference. I am learning there will be traffic restrictions as all the curves are R1 and R2. So I have the trains with very short (4") cars run on the inside and larger cars and engines run on the outside. I also have 3 Noch Mountain tunnels that create scenery breaks. I trimmed the tunnel opening just a little as cars were hitting.
    Here is the latest changes to the layout (Version #28) I am using slimline turnout on shelf area so I can fit 1 more track. My Push/Pull trains will go 'off' layout there and park. They may only make an appearance on the lower level, I'll have to see if they can navigate the hill climb.
    I am currently working on fabricating an extension to the upper rear of the layout of 4" to give better support and safety for upper rear track, also I will 'plant' some trees on both sides of the track.
    The Porsche dealership had to get moved to make room for 4 tracks for a freight yard.
    Also I am working on an extension to the front of the layout to hold a station on the ground level... This will be the first station you see as you enter the train room. Here is a picture of the model. It took me a week to build the model and another week to paint the roof. The model comes with 2 paint pens... I looked at real pictures of the building and added more painted tiles than the instructions called for.

Mitch

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

Just finished cutting out 14 supports and the 4 pieces of extra 'real estate' . The abutments will be painted stone grey and the land "Noch" brown. I'll glue things together with Woodland Scenics Foam Tack Glue. I scrapped off the 'grass' where the abutments will land for better glue bonding.
    That's all for today.

• Dear Mitch:

You should not have problems on R1 track, the Marklin products will run on it (unless you get Big Boy or GG1). Also, the distance between parallel tracks is large enough for two trains with 282mm cars can pass one another in curves. If you use full-length 303mm cars by Roco and others, then there may be a snag. I have been using Fleischmann and Trix/Marklin 282mm car for my modern trains, and am very satisfied with them. The full-length card would look too long on my layout. I like to have my trains to be about 10" shorter than my platforms, and this is the case with a steamer and six 282mm cars. This way, things do not look too crowded. With six 303mm cars, there would be only 5", i.e. 6cm before and 6cm after the train.

Ulrich

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

Here is one of my trains that will have some issues... The Swiss Grey Mouse. I am running with 1 less car (I am okay with that as it puts the engine in the center) The train can navigate R1 and climb and descend, but I have other elements... tunnels ( I will trim for more clearance) and the Catenary Masts! Since I am using the Noch layout it has restrictions and I am using center masts with 2 arms on the hill climbs. My plan is to not use the inside R1 path for these types of trains. So these trains can operate on most of the tracks and I am okay with that. I will position the masts so these trains clear the masts when operating on the outside R2... The train looks better on that curve also.

I also have other mfg trains that the new passenger cars are exact 1:87, but I only operate them at train shows with my NMRA club. I run mostly Roco with that club as they are 2 rail. They like my European Trains.

I have 4 sets of engines I hook together as an M.U. Shown in upper station is my pair of Austrian MaK's... I will limit the cars to 10 so they do not overhang at the stations and block tracks. I run longer trains (up to 18 cars) at train shows with my ETE modular train club

Today I am painting the pink foam pieces for the upper rear track and not sure if I will get that done today. Tomorrow I start puppy and kitty watch so I will be away for 5 days. I am bringing a brewery model to build... LOL

• Mitch:

Under any circumstances, do not use masts with 2 arms between the tracks of curves. This definitely will cause problems. You are using the old Marklin catenary system, the new system is not compatible with it so the masts with two arms will not work anyhow unless you do some creative soldering. R1 and inside masts will not work with 282mm cars unless you are extremely careful.

Ulrich

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

Thank you for your input. I am using old Marklin catenary because I have enough of it and it will be just cosmetic. wires are not hung on cross spans yet, but I am setting proper distances. Since wire is cosmetic I will cheat a little at crossovers and turnouts. This is what I do with my modules for my club layout. I also create my own lengths and spider webs when I need them... Cut and Solder. I am trying the 2nd generation masts in the curves as they are a bit narrower. It seems to be working for my purposes. Also you will see that I have classic Marklin signals. I plan to use those for now. They will also be for eye candy. All wires are clipped except yellow. I will not use base plate but attach a ground wire. These will be powered by a separate and analog transformer. Again, I have plenty of these old Marklin signals, I even have 2 hump track signals! I buy what I find at swap meets.

My budget will be spent on digitizing the turnouts... That will be done in stages as I now have over 30 turnouts on the layout. Motor, Lantern and Decoder... that will be about $2,000.00. So I will pick and choose and do as budget allows.

Here is a picture of what things look like now.

Thank you again for your input... I may use newer double arm masts and solder the wires on eventually. It may be a while before I hang all the wire...

• BR42BR42 Auburn
    edited January 2021

Dear Mitch:

Since I run with DCC, all my locomotives pick up power through the tracks. I use the old Marklin catenary too, simply because I had so much of it that I only needed to buy a few extra one to replace wire that was old and too bent to straighten up again. I soldered a lot of wires to ensure stability. Although the catenary is only for optics, all electric locos can use it with the pantographs up. You need to make sure that the masts are anchored solidly to the layout. I screwed most of them to the wooden base, but lately used hot glue. I do not know what you can use on a Noch layout. On my Faller bridge, I used Loctite super glue gel. I would think that adding the wires later is asking for problems since the masts have to be located very precisely and buildings do not help. I laid the track first and test ran the trains first. Then I ballasted the track and landscaped the layout. Then, the catenary followed. The details of the landscaping was done later at the end (bushes, people).

As far as signals are concerned, I followed an approach similar to yours, I used old Fleischmann signals. These work more reliable, and on top of it cost about 50% less than new Viessmann signals.

Ulrich

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

I glued up the extra 'real estate' last night and I think it will work out well. Need to make some adjustment to incline, I can scrape off some pink foam or add some to the inside of the track to get things level. I like how it creates a super elevation on the curve.
    I do not intend to run engines with 'pans up' as you can see in newer model pantographs are more to prototype and narrow. Pans 'UP' will be for photo shoots. My alignment of wire will not be so precise and I may skip some spots over turnouts and crossings.

Standard masts are meant to clip on the M track. I straighten out the tab and the entire base slides under the C track. As for the tall masts I was thinking about Tacky Glue to secure them in place.

I do not plan to secure the track, as I keep making adjustments, will need to remove to update turnouts, will need to adjust track to install Marklin toggle switch tracks when I determine where they need to go.

Here are a few pics... the wires are just hanging in the cross spans. I need to use the Marklin 7006 connectors... Just checked my inventory and I have enough of those for now. I need 40 as the layout looks now and I have 50.

With NO train shows in a year now, my home layout is keeping me busy... Last Train shows I was at was GTS in Puyallup and Portland January 2020. ETE PNW had a 20 x 40 foot digital Marklin layout and the next week I brought an analog 4x8 foot Marklin layout (with WORKING catenary!) to Portland. That small layout had working signals and turnouts also.

GTS = Great Train Show
    ETE = European Train Enthusiasts

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

Today I will be cutting away some of the pink foam. My extension is not level with the layout since the back wall of the Noch is at about 80 degrees to the vertical, and I made my supports square, therefore my add-on section has a rise of about 10 degrees.
    I made a mark on the boards and will cut away with a pair of Exacto knives. Also I notice the track in the back is not exactly parallel to the front, but all the track seems to be connected properly and I am happy with the running of the trains.

To add something different I hung up my Hawk model of the Graf Zeppelin. I bought this model that was in my local hobby shop for about a year. I built it a few years ago and it has be stored in its box. The model is over 3 feet long. I need to hang it better but it is safe now with some cord. It has 2 hanger spots but the holes are very small... I think I can use light music wire and make hangers. If anyone is interested in this model I believe it was a re issue and see a few on ebay. Some are hard plastic and some are vacuform. This model is hard plastic. The plastic was all white so I painted it. I think I want to work on it a bit more, but for now it can fly over my layout.

You can also see in the first picture I bought some fences (They are grey in color) that I will be adding to the top of the retaining wall. These are packaged by Walthers and I got them at a local shop, the pkg says they are made by Faller. There are 6 sections of fence in each pkg and 2 pkgs will cover the area I want.

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

Here is the latest (Version #30) layout drawing
    The layout is running well. I like the extra half track I added to the upper station as it allows trams, railcars, postal trams and such to park there for a while and not impede traffic.

I will be going back to sea for a month so work on the layout will stop at this time. During the next few days I will be doing minor improvements such as painting.

Peace and Be Well, Mitch

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

I changed the front (Right of the Station) track plan just a bit. I moved over the pair of turnouts and added a double slip. I had trouble with operations and was unable to get a train from the inside track (running clockwise) to the Port or Yard area. The new arrangement works great.

I was running trains and the hiding tracks under the layout are good, but I am adding more (OFF the layout) to the rear on a shelf unit... I just ordered a few more tracks from Reynaulds.
    I need to add a few more motors and decoders to turnouts that are out of reach.

I am having FUN! Here is a picture with not so many trains in view and 2 trains in the hidden staging. I'll soon have 2 more off layout staging and I am planning a S Bahn station under the layout with 6 parking tracks there. I have drawn the CAD for that and that will come a bit latter.

The FUN continues...

Cheers! Mitch

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Hi Mitch:

Great to hear from you again. Having fun is what model railroading is all about. Sometimes reading magazines, I have the feeling that some people forget about this. One of the regular contributors once wrote that he does not run trains for fun between operating sessions, since the schedule and fast clock have to be on whenever the railroad is operating. I felt very sorry for him since he had lost touch with what a hobby is all about: Having fun and relax from the stresses of every day life. It seems to me you got it exactly right.

Ulrich

• We were talking about this very same thing on another train forum. The member said he operates his layout on a timetable and schedule. I just like to watch trains run. If it ever comes down to having to adhere to a schedule, then it becomes work. At least for me.

I may as well go work for DB, SBB, or ÖBB.

Your railroad is really coming along nicely. Viel Späß!