HO Locomotive Collections

Hello all!, i started collecting ho trains some years ago, have not yet set up a running system model yet! what started my interest was when i chanced upon a new-old-stock Atheann ho diesel locomotive "illinois central" in a remote australian town. following that i collected the following:

1.Roco Limited museums edition electric loco (crocodile)  43378
2 Roco old steam loco drg 80 63247
3.Roco diesel loco snef 8131 63458
4.Roco deutsche steam loco c/w coal tender 63300
5.Roco diesel loco qbb 63498
6.Roco royal belgium steam loco c/w coal tender (green) 63362
7.Roco us state collection 'pennslyvania' c/w coal tender 63355
8.Roco starter train set(not used yet!)

thanks for looking!

Comments

• good collection

I have trix br44,br 85 and bigboy, blue line  AC6000,and so many  DF3 locos...
  • Hi guys:

I like collecting era I and Era II European locomotives, mostly steam.  I plan on building a layout centering around the mid 1920's.  I will have both HO and narrow gouge lines on the layout with a large variety of locomotives and rolling stock.  I will post some photo's on my progress.

Thanks,

Rey

• [QUOTE=sunyiling]

good collection

I have trix br44,br 85 and bigboy, blue line  AC6000,and so many  DF3 locos...
    [/QUOTE]

I have the trix bigboy as well.  Awesome train, great sound.  What I really liked about the bigboy was that it came in a wooden storage box and included a display stand.  I wish I had a layout to run it on; can't wait to start and finish my new layout.

• Hello,

My collection currently consists of

Roco 01, 01.10, 23, 41, 44, 58, 103, 110, 112, 116, 117, 118, 140, 144, 150, 194, 211, 220, 260, VT601, ET 85

Fleischmann 18.6, 24, 38.10, 39, 50, 55, 65, 86, 94, 141

Liliput 42

Piko 163

Trix  175, V140, E 70, 217

Lima 110.0

Brawa E 95

It used to be bigger, but I phased out all my Trix Express Locos, except the four mentioned above which were converted, as well as all Epoche II locos.

Ulrich

• wseawsea singapore
    Yes, somehow steam locos of the past era are more appealing;they are more detailed, somewhat...the US State Pennsylvania is just beauty!

• Hello Group:

I am very happy to find this forum, I basically collect German and French steam locomotives which ran in from 1920 till about 1945.  All my models are HO so far and I am planning a layout.  I am not a good carpenter so I was wonder how I should start planning my train table.  Does anyone know of a good book or a website that explains the best way to build the tables, height, style and so on.  I recently discovered some new models from KM1 and I could not believe my eyes.  These Km1 models sound and smoke like a real steam locomotive.  The models actually blow smoke from the smoke stack, pistons and they even have a functional steam whistle.   All the smoke is synchronized with the digital sound.  I think a KM1 large scale locomotive will eventually find it's way into my collection.  Everybody needs to watch these videos because this new technology is going to take model railroading to a whole new level.  Click here to watch http://www.reynaulds.com/km1.aspx

Thanks,

Werner

• Hello Werner,

Welcome to the forum.  I also collect German trains with two special areas, namely the late 50's (which is mostly Reichsbahn with newer lettering) and the early 1970's.  As far as the carpentry is concerned, there are many different approaches, and it depends what you want to built: Open bench work, solid table-top.  I personally am not the greatest carpenter either, so I will built a frame out of 1x4's in a size of 5'x6'.  In the middle, I add 5' long 1x4's to make the whole thing more stable.  On top, I will add plywood 19/32" thick as a top on which built slopes and hills.  While some would say that this restricts flexibility for the landscape, I like the stability of the whole thing. Two of these contraptions will be the main part of the layout (i.e. it will be 10'x6').  Opposite to it comes a double shelf 12'x1'7" to hold the hidden storage yard and the stub-end station. I found some good advise on carpentry by just typing model railroad, bench work  into Google.

Ulrich

BR422009-12-18 15:39:06
  • Dear Ulrich:

So you like collecting models from the former DDR Reichsbahn?  Thank you so much for the advice on the bench work.  I think I will go with open benchwork and make it module.  Another area of concern I have is backdrops, I am not sure if I should hire an artist to paint them or to purchase photo scenes from backdrop warehouse or MZZ.  Have a great Christmas holiday.

Thanks,

Werner

• Hallo Werner,

Glad that the info helped.  I am running West German trains, and concentrate on two periods, 1957, and 1971.  The first allows me to run old Reichsbahn prewar cars, but with the modern lettering. I chose this year since
    a) The 3rd class had disappeared.  So I do not have to re-letter my cars.
    b) Old electrics and steam still in mainline use (24, P8, P10, G8, E 75 etc)
    c) VT11.5 just entered service

The second year was chosen since it allows me to run more modern equipement (A 103 was an absolute must!), but still has many of the features of the old Bundesbahn:

a) Blue F-Trains,
    b) Classic Colors: Green for 2nd Class and Baggage Coaches, Blue for 1st Class, and Red for Dining and Sleeping Cars.  No beige-blue
    c) TEE Rheingold/Rheinpfeil with Dome Cars
    d) Steam still around

Moreover, houses and signaling did not changed so much in 14 years. So one layout can represent both periods believably.

Ulrich 

BR422009-12-19 08:13:51
  • tautemaritetautemarite Kirkland, WA
    I started collecting and building layouts when I was a pre-teen, in 1953,and have been collecting and building layouts since. My first equipment and layout (in 1953) was Marklin. I now concentrate on US and European 1950 and earlier equipment.,in HO, HOn3 and HOe or HOn30. I don't model Marklin any more but still have it all.

It is good to find people with similar modeling interests.
    Chuck Walters