Facade

Does anybody know if any company makes building facades that could be put along a wall? Something I could put a light in. Something about 1/2 to 3/4 in. deep maybe.

Thanks

Comments

• BR42BR42 Auburn
    Nick,

I have seen something in the Walthers Cornerstone line.  Unfortunately, they are based on American prototypes, but some kitbashing could help.  Another solution is to get kits, and kitbash into such models.  One should get two background models out of each kit.

Ulrich

BR422014-07-31 22:24:21
  • el Gato Gordoel Gato Gordo Colorado Spring

What scale?

There are several kits by Faller, and the now defunct Vollmer.  Noch makes a cardboard printed one, about 1/2" deep in N scale.  And Why would anyone want something larger than 1:160?

Actually, if you have HO you might consider an N or Z scale building kit for deep background.  The forced perspective makes your train set look deeper than it is.

Gordon

• nickpchnickpch Lombard,IL
    It's HO. Sorry for leaving that part out.
  • RailwriterRailwriter Durham, NC

Nick,

Something else to consider:  Many of the kit manufacturers make buildings with slightly different fronts and backs.  One option might be to take a full depth kit and cut it in half, which makes two background buildings.  Or even if the fronts and backs are similar, you can combine them into a larger half-depth building.  (Some of these building kits are not all that deep to begin with.)

I am making a background building from DPM modular pieces.  Yes, the DPM pieces are based on American prototype, but some industries (in this case a power plant) are somewhat universal, paticularly if you paint the bricks.  The main wall will only be about an inch from the background walll, but there will be a covered hopper car unloading area that goes over a track that will extend out from that wall.

(Long complicated reason for the above.  When I get that far with my project, I may post some photos.)

I often modify kit buildings -- in part to make them into something else.  It's not that difficult, if you take care with the sawing of wall sections.  Having some plain plastic sheets and various plastic structural shapes also helps.

-- Ernest