N Scale Layout: Rheinland Bayern Bahn

I've been building a new layout to take to train shows.  The layout is 4' x 9.5', and incorporates generic scenes from the Rheinland, Bayern, & Schwarzwald.  No particular location or railyard is represented.  Under the hill I built a U-Bahnhof for my staging area, with plenty of lighting and, unlike the last set, plenty of hand room.

After two visits to the Miniatur Wunderland, I was inspired to install buttons for kid/spectators to push to activate scenes on the set.  Push-buttons include a house fire, a carnival, a dragon's cave, music for the Biergarten, station announcement for the U-Bahnhof, and (in the future) a salt mine like that in Halstatt.  The Faller bus system generates a lot of interest as well.

​Okay, I am having trouble posting photos from my DropBox account, so here is a link to the folder:

There is much construction still to do: finishing a Schwarzwald scene in the upper right, finishing the outlying fortifications and buildings of Schloss Lichtenstein upper left, installing street lights and signals where needed, just to name the major projects.

Time for a beer and a brat!  Cheers!
Gord

el Gato Gordo2016-08-14 11:34:59

Comments

• Gord,

Thanks for sharing the photos.

For what it's worth:  The page in the above link did not work with the older version IE browser that I have as the default browser on my laptop.

It did work just fine with Google Chrome, which I also have on the laptop.

-- Ernest
  • Nice job Gord,hope to get to see it in person one day

Thanks

Rey
  • Gordon:

Welcome to the Forum.  Looks very nice, great modelling job.  I very much enjoyed the layout.

Ulrich
  • el Gato Gordoel Gato Gordo Colorado Spring
    S'okay! Good to know I'm still welcome!

Cheers,
    Gordon

Inspired by some of the bawdy scenes at MiWuLa, I added this N scale scene:

imageCheers,
    Gordon
  • Unhappy I wrote:

Gordon:

Welcome to the Forum.  Looks very nice, great modelling job.  I very much enjoyed the layout.

UlrichEmbarrassed

Gordon,

Sorry, I had a different name in mind when I read your posting.  Mental short circuit, decoder burnt out.

Ulrich

Not to worry, Ulrich!  I'm not easily offended.  Try harder!  LOL

Cheers!
    Gordon

I've been working on the Landwehr Brauerei at the back of the set.  Since the layout is to be viewed from 360°, I get to go into detail anywhere I desire.

Brauerei:

And a solar array to power it:

Had to do the solar array, and more panels elsewhere, since Germany is the world's leader in development and use of solar energy.  Imagine, with as few sunny days as they have, compared to Colorado (for example) which averages 350+ sunny days per year!

Cheers!
    Gordon

el Gato Gordo2016-03-03 06:42:04

On my previous layout I had the Faller model of Schloss Lichtenstein.  As I was planning this new layout I was looking at Google Maps and discovered that there is much more to the Schloss than comes with the kit.  So, after much image research, I built the outlying fortifications out of extruded foam:

Though advertised as N scale, I believe the Faller kit is Z scale, so I built the outbuildings accordingly.  This necessitated the removal of a clearly N scale house, leaving a space which I filled with a formal garden (which, of course, does not exist at Lichtenstein).

Cheers!
    Gordon

To celebrate the Phoenix-like rebirth of the Forum, I offer Schrebergärten (Kleingärten):

Krunkelbachhütte bei Bernau im Schwarzwald - the perfect stop on a long hot August hike:

OCD.  My idea of a good time is doing N scale Biersteins & stemmed wineglasses.

Sigh....
    Gordon

Well, if you insist.  In the Biergarten, when a spectator pushes a button, the band plays music and there are Biergarten (conversation) sounds for 30 seconds:

I don't currently have good close-ups and my photography skills leave something to be desired, but here is the Weinstube:

I realize that these may be better proportioned to HO, but I'm still pondering the problem...

Cheers - the sun is over the yard arm somewhere -
    Gordon

el Gato Gordo2016-07-14 10:41:47

Yeah, Brawa claims it is N scale, but if you know of one that is better proportioned to 1:160, please let me know - I have other places I would use them, too!  The nice thing about model railroading - the layout is never "done."

Cheers!
    Gordon

This is a test of how well photos are uploading.  And, by the way, the pic was taken at the Forney Transportation Museum Train Show, before the show opened.  After opening, there was no time for pics!

It took 56 seconds for the URL Box to be completed. Then it only was another 12 seconds to complete the posting of the photo.

Cheers, amigos!
    Gordon

el Gato Gordo2016-08-14 11:50:07

I just realized that I had not done an update in a while.  I've been enjoying everyone else's photos! So first, here are some spectators enjoying burning down the house on my layout at the Rocky Mountain Region NMRA Convention.  As usual, it is the only Euro layout and the only one that has pushbuttons for the spectators:

I've been working on the U-Bahnhof, my staging area.  The escalators are by Ngineer, available on Shapeways; added signage and raised the clearances on the balconies so I could run with the pantos up.

And this isn't much, but I added much needed guard rails to the road.  Guard rails again by Ngineer, via Shapeways.  Erik is very helpful when I need something that is not available elsewhere.

Cheers!
    Gordon
  • michaelrose55michaelrose55 Orange City, FL
    Gordon, those escalators look fantastic!

Thanks, Michael, but all credit to Erik (Ngineer) for doing custom heights on escalators, stairs, and reducing manufacturers' specs to 1:160 on the guard rails!  He is a great guy with whom to work.

Cheers!
    G
    I blame this on Michael....LOL  (Thanks, Michael!)  He keeps building and building.....  So I finally had to start a staging area off to one side of my portable layout.  Since I take the layout to shows, the new bit had to be detachable, and adjustable for height.  It is 24" by 64" - to fit available space, and has wheels on one end so I can get it out of the way when the main layout goes to shows.  I used a turnbuckle system to make the height adjustment on the wheel end:

This is my progress thus far:

It is not intended tp be a prototypical "yard," but I will put a Bahnhof in there and scenic it a bit, simply because I cannot bear to leave it bare.  And yes, this project is fueled by the giant bag of Weingummis on the far end of the yard!

Cheers!
    Gordon
    [QUOTE=el Gato Gordo]
    I blame this on Michael....LOL  (Thanks, Michael!)  

Cheers!
    Gordon
    [/QUOTE]

Gordon, don't worry, I can take it Big smile! It would be easier though if I had one of these big bags of Weingummy...

Merry Christmas!

Some progress photos of my layout extension. 

I assembled my track, rearranging until I got the most storage vs scenery that I could, leaving room for a Bahnhof.  I marked the outline on the blue foam, then glued down Woodland Scenics foam roadbed and foam sheets. I masked around the foam, and also masked across, where the sliding bar for the points will be.

I reassembled the track once again, and detached the little spurs from the straight line of turnouts.  Lifted the line of turnouts, and liberally applied Elmer's to the roadbed.  At that point I removed the masking tape from the points areas.  Then I laid the first stretch of track, aligned it, and sprinkled fine gray ballast over the glued area.  A couple of flat boards with a little weight kept everything pressed nice and evenly.  When dry, I vacuumed the loose ballast and removed the rest of the tape.

I will touch up the side of the roadbed at the points with a brush and carefully applied ballast.  Later today I hope to lay and ballast the rest of the track.

Just thinking about ballasting Michael's layout made my eyes cross.  I figured there had to be an easier way to ballast than waiting until all the track is laid!  As it is, my ballast is not quite deep enough, not coming to the tops of the sleepers, but I think it will do.

Cheers!
    Gordon
    [QUOTE=el Gato Gordo]
    Just thinking about ballasting Michael's layout made my eyes cross.  I figured there had to be an easier way to ballast than waiting until all the track is laid!  As it is, my ballast is not quite deep enough, not coming to the tops of the sleepers, but I think it will do.

Cheers!
    Gordon
    [/QUOTE]

Gordon,

When I'm ready to start ballasting I'll send you an invitation... Big smile!

Thanks, Markus.  So there I was, ballasting.  Spreading glue, laying track, and the bag of fine gray ballast came up empty....  No problem, I have a spare!   Somewhere.  Now where did I leave that.  Had to remove the track that I had laid and let the glue dry.

As it turned out, I did NOT have a spare bag of ballast.

I picked up a new bag during a trip to town today and finished the job.  After everything is thoroughly dry, I'll vacuum the loose stuff and do touch up with a brush.  Then install the Faller Bahnhofshalle 22127.  Also planning a replica of the Miniature Wunderland, open on one end, showing some of the "layout."  Should be fun depicting an HO layout at 1:160!

Cheers!
    Gordon

el Gato Gordo2017-01-04 06:53:16

I've made a bit of progress since my last photos. The track is laid and mostly ballasted. Simultaneously I've been working on the Bahnhofshalle in the nice warm house on the few days that it has been too cold to work on the layout out in the barn.

Here is the center Bahnsteig set in place, showing some of the details:

And the unpopulated Bahnhofshalle.  I've left several window panes out in the center, on both sides, for better viewing of interior details:

We have the Thalys departing Gleis 5, to complete its journey to Frankfurt Hbf. The Regiobahn is obviously on the wrong track.

None of the structures have been fixed in place, since there is still much to do.  Adding ties where the flex track is joined is one chore, for example.  Improving the ballasting is another.

I probably won't install catenary in this section, since this is my staging area and I would like to have unimpeded hand access.  But one never knows....

Cheers!
    Gordon

Gordon, 

you should come and visit me again and turn my ugly staging yard into something beautiful as well Wink!
  • Your layout is truly inspiring.

Very kind of you (all) to say so.  Just having fun!

So I've added the ticket machines and the ticket validation machines:

Cheers!
    Gordon

el Gato Gordo2017-02-05 19:16:50
  • Hey Gordon,

I really like the Bahnhofshalle, and I'm with Markus, all those details in there, billboards and Fahrkartenautomat, all in N scale. I got a question regarding the track you are using, is that code 70 ? It seems fairly high on the pictures.
    Hey, Leif

The tracks are Peco code 80, so yes, they are a bit tall.   If I ever get to build a permanent layout I'll switch to Peco code 55 for the visible areas.

Cheers!
    Gord
    Just got home from the Denver Train Show.  It was mobbed!  Had crowds around the layout the entire weekend, I could barely get access myself to switch turnouts to change trains.  Best part, met a bunch of new friends interested in German model railroading.

A lot of fun, but I'm exhausted!