Beginners Questions

Hello, I am a current modeler of US prototype railroads in HO scale. I use Digitrax DCC for controlling my railroad. I often travel to Europe for work and have taken an interest in the Eurpoean railroads. My question is, am I able to operate HO scale European models on my current railroad without modification to the European models?
Is the wheel flange height compatible?
Will the DCC decoders installed in the engines work with my current Digitrax system?
I understand couplers will not be compatible.
Are there other questions I've forgotten to ask?
Thank for your assistance.

Comments

• Okay, I'll give these a try.

Yes, the American and European (NEM) digital standards are compatible.  You can use your American controls to run European digital locomotives.  You should be able to program addresses and other features with your American equipment. 

The answer for flange height is, "It depends."  But, it should not be a problem, other than with very old European models (1950s and 1960s).  It also depends on what type of turnouts your have and how deep thee flangeways in the frogs are.  The more recent the European models, the shallower the flanges on the wheels.

Couplers:  Almost all modern European HO models come with standardized coupler pockets, which allow you to exchange couplers and and select whichever couplers your prefer.  It is my understanding that there is even a Kaydee coupler made to fit these pockets, so you could have a car with a US coupler on one end and European couplers on the other end.

Hope that helps.

-- Ernest
  • Hi Ernest,
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I'm going to investigate further, but feel much better about the possibility.

Regards,

Joe
  • el Gato Gordoel Gato Gordo Colorado Spring

One thing to keep in mind is that an American HO system is powered by both rails.  You won't be able to run Marklin trains since they use a 3 rail power system, like Lionel (only better).  But regular 2 rail powered Euro trains should run just fine.

Cheers!
    Gordon
  • Hi Gordon,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply and the clarification about the Marklin vs other Euro models, very helpful.
  • Thank you for this very helpful information.

Regards,

Joe
  • Hello:

Actually the decoder and the pick-up shoe or the least of the problems when one tries to run 3-rail Marklin compatible trains on 2-rail track.  The two sides of the AC engines and cars are usually connected causing a massive short when placed on 2-rail track.  Just got a Shell tank car from Marklin when visiting my old home town of Essen.  Before I bought it, I checked whether or not they had DC-wheels in store.

ESU is the exception, they came up with a brilliant solution using the same loco on both type of track.

Ulrich

BR422016-02-09 20:49:12