My small German layout

edited April 2019 in Layout Showcase

I've been working on this since February of 2018 so it's been a little over a year. I've just started on the scenery and once finished I'll be installing non-working catenary. The upper level is an ÖBB branch line, with DB running on the two lower main lines.

Comments

• Are you not allowed to link photos here? I tried finding a rules page but didn't see anything.

• el Gato Gordoel Gato Gordo Colorado Spring

Hmmm. I don't know what the difficulty is. I had no trouble posting pics in my layout thread.

• RailwriterRailwriter Durham, NC

I think your problem is that you posted links to the page that the image was on, not directly to the image.
    We can view your images -- but we have to open each individual link, which leads us to the page on which the image is displayed.
    You should be able to find the image link by putting your cursor over the image. Hope that helps.

-- Ernest

• edited April 2019

Web forum and BB links are already set up on Imgur. All you have to do is copy and paste the link as I have done.
    For whatever reason, the board software is not seeing these as a link to automatically display the link as an image.
    I have been using links from Imgur for years to display images from my photo library and I have never seen this before.
    I'm going to edit this again and see what happens

EDIT:
    This forum uses some sort of strange markup tags for posting images. After copying just the URL for the photos and deleting the image tags I pasted the URL into the drop down box on the header to insert an image. That seems to be working. Just a new way to post photos I guess.

• I forgot to include the original trackplan:

• BahnerBahner East Bay, CA

From my N and Z scale perspective, that's a good sized layout! I like the track plan and this'll look great once the scenery is completed.

• The only disadvantage is there is not much yard space and no where to put any in without encroaching on the area where the village sits. I was able to put in a station siding at Oberrittersgrün, and there is a small storage track on the north side, and another station siding on the lower level but that's all. Nowhere to store additional trains besides what I mentioned.

• I have a few updated photos of some scenery work I've been doing.
    I just bought a Br.151 that Rey had on consignment too. This will be a nice addition to the DB. I'll be getting a proper consist for it sometime shortly after the first of the year.

• Michael:

Great job and nice pictures.

Ulrich

• Nice job Michael, you have made a lot of progress
    Rey

• edited December 2019

Last week I built a 76"x18" extension to the layout for a five-track yard. The yard lead will come of the outer main on the other side of the layout and will be long enough to hold my longest passenger train before entering the yard.
    It is a dead-end yard so the outer track trains will all be head-in and the inner track trains will all be tails-in, but it is not supposed to present a prototypical yard, but rather a yard to hold trains waiting to be ran while others are running. I will add some scenery such as platforms and maybe a locomotive service facility on a branch track as well as a Gasthof and Biergarten.

I did not design in any yard facilities on my initial design as there wasn't any room for yard tracks except for a stopping track in front of each of the stations. This small yard will be a great addition for additional trains that have not yet been purchased.

Turnouts will be a #8 for the yard lead, and #6's for the yard ladder. All will be Peco. The yard lead will be controlled by a Walthers servo controlled DCC machine, and the others will be manual machines.

Turnout location of the yard lead:

1x3 addition to accommodate the new 26" radius curve for the yard lead:

Yard location:

• Michael:

One can never have enough storage tracks. I started with 10, and moved up to 16 at this point. I have plans for three more, but that may be vetoed by the family leadership.

Ulrich

• The track and turnouts are due to arrive today for the staging yard. I can start work on that tonight or tomorrow sometime.

Meanwhile, I've added a few era IV coaches to my Br.151 that was delivered last week. These are lighted cars from TRIX.

Bring back the 70's!

• The layout is really coming along, looks good. That one image where the train is running so close to the edge of the table does make me nervous, take it slow!!
    Thanks
    Rey

• Thanks Rey. The Br.151 I bought from you on consignment.

Michael,

I obviously like your Austrian-based models. The 1014 electrics -- with one of the best paint schemes ever, in my opinion -- are now back in service in Austria. They were retired and sold off -- but are now running again, still in their original paint schemes, mostly on fast long-distance intermodal trains. The articles I have read aren't too specific about the financial arrangements.

But, mostly these now run in double-traction sets. I have two of these, and they do make a nice set running together.

-- Ernest

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Michael:

Nice, and the combination of different car types is the typical for an accelerated train (Eilzug) in the 70s.

Ulrich

• I really like the Era IV & V locomotives. Not so much the ultra modern Era VI. I don't have any of those.

• @Railwriter said:
    Michael,

I obviously like your Austrian-based models. The 1014 electrics -- with one of the best paint schemes ever, in my opinion -- are now back in service in Austria. They were retired and sold off -- but are now running again, still in their original paint schemes, mostly on fast long-distance intermodal trains. The articles I have read aren't too specific about the financial arrangements.

But, mostly these now run in double-traction sets. I have two of these, and they do make a nice set running together.

-- Ernest

Thanks. I too think that is one of the best paint designs on any locomotive and was the reason I bought it. Jägerndorfer has the 1822 available if you can find one anywhere. I wanted a sound decoder for the 1014, but no one except Jägerndorfer has the sound file.

edited January 4

Here's a link to my Blog article about the Austrian 1822 locomotives:

blog.reynaulds.com/index.php/austrias-obb-class-1822/

I don't have an 1822 yet myself, but that is still a future possibility. I do have some other Jägerndorfer items and their quality is very good.

It looks like Jägerndorfer is planning a new production run of the 1822.001 this year (2020).

-- Ernest

P.S.: I hope no one minds the links to the Blog posts.

• My DB staging yard is nearly completed. I'm waiting on a wye to arrive to lay on the end of the stub track on the far right in the photo, and this will lead to the two service tracks into an electric engine service facility seen at the far end.

What material could I use to transition the track from the cork roadbed to the sub-roadbed (table-top) for the stub track going to the wye?

I tried a shim used for hanging doors, but it was too thick by about 2mm. Any ideas?

Michael,

One way to make small transition slopes is to use sheets of very thin plastic.

Cut one piece to the width of your track -- or slightly wider -- and say 12 inches. Then cut the next piece 10 inches, and the following piece 8 inches -- and so on. Glue them together to make a very shallow but long stair-step. Then flip it over to have the continuous long piece on top. That will give a smoother base for your tracks.

The length of the pieces will depend on the thickness of the plastic you are working with.

Another alternative is not to make a transition slope, but rather to build a base for your engine terminal from fiberboard.

See my Blog article on this subject here:

blog.reynaulds.com/index.php/tracks-in-concrete/

You can click on any of the images to view a larger version; then use your browser's "back" button to return to the main article.

(Hey, lately I find that I can answer a lot of questions by pointing to some of my Blog articles.)

You will want to have a "concrete" floor in the engine terminal anyway., so the easy way to do this is with a base for the whole structure.

Hope that helps.

-- Ernest

• Thanks for the good ideas. I think before I do anything I will wait until the engine facility arrives and go from there.

I think it's going to be this one:

• Well it turned out pretty nicely. I still have the landscaping and a lot of interior details to purchase to make it look like a busy locomotive shop. Faller sells some work platforms and other pieces I'll be getting. Catenary is going to be installed too after landscaping is completed.