Uncoupling Tools

Hello,

I hope the members here can help me out. For those of you that do switching operations on your layout, what do you use to uncouple the cars ? Most of my rolling stocks are Roco. Do you home make them or is there a particular tool that they sell ? Any info will be appreciated.

Comments

• Each package of the Roco universal couplers (which allow delayed uncoupling) comes with an uncoupling tool.  I now have quite a few of these and do use them.  One of them is glued to a long Plastruct shape (boxgirder) that allows me to reach further.

I do plan to use electric uncouplers at some locations.

You can make your own uncoupling tool with very large paperclips.  Simply bend them open to an L shape.  Use superglue to glue a small piece of stiff flat plastic to one arm of the L.  That's the part that is used to lift the coupler arms.

You can also make an uncoupler from a large L-shaped piece of plastic sprue left over from building a structure kit or similar item.  Again, a small piece of flat stiff plastic on the inside of the short arm of the L will help.

-- Ernest

• Thanks for the information. So is like an L shape rod with a small "lollipop" shape on the short end and that's what lift the coupler.
  • [QUOTE=skyhawk]

Thanks for the information. So is like an L shape rod with a small "lollipop" shape on the short end and that's what lift the coupler.[/QUOTE]

Yes, something like that.  A rectangular piece, with the narrower part facing the handle would probably work better.  As plastic pieces are cheap, you can experiment with what works.

Keep in mind that the tool has to fit between parallel tracks and that the handle has to be long enough to get the flat part down between cars on those tracks.

For uncoupling on the front track at the edge of the layout, you can also use a somewhat different shape.  In fact, the Roco uncoupler hand tool that comes with the universal uncouplers can be configured in two different ways.

-- Ernest

• I got it !! Thanks !!  I am glad I posted this thread because I just noticed that Reynauld's just shipped my first order of freight cars. So I am expecting them by next Tuesday or Wednesday. Unlike on what I ordered my engine, wrong era !!! LOL ! Thanks Ernest.