Why do we need Plux8, -12, -16,-22?

Hello,

This afternoon, I had some time, and was ready to install a decoder into my brand-new beautiful V200.0 from Piko.  Well, the  first difficulty was opening the loco.  I followed instructions (yes I actually looked at the manual), took out the screws, pulled at the top as described, and it was stuck.  After about 20 minutes of pulling and pocking with tooth picks (I stopped using screw drivers for this after a very bad experience) I finally got the thing to open.  Clap

Hoping for a fast reward for all my trouble, I picked up an ESU decoder with the 21-pin interface, and well it did not match the Plux-? Piko uses.Dead  Why in the world do we need yet another interface?Angry  Anyhow, I found a solution to this problem on the internet, but am highly annoyed about it!

Thankfully, Roco still uses the good old 8-pin interface, so I will have a restful time putting the ESU into my 053 class with tub tender.  Of course it did not have any wires attached to it, so it was a somewhat excitingWink experience to solder 9 wires to the soldering pads of the Lokpiliot 4.0, but it got done without too much trouble.Thumbs Up

Ulrich

Comments

• el Gato Gordoel Gato Gordo Colorado Spring

Hey, Ulrich ~

On the bright side, learning new things and solving problems is said to ward off Alzheimer's......but I forget why.

Gord

• Hey Ulrich,

Roco only uses the 8 pin in older loco designs, all newer locos, no matter what brand, will move over to the Plux interface, which is the best around. You can access all 6 AUX on an ESU and yes, they are all amplified ! :) The sound installation is excellent too, all new locos ( The Piko V200 as well, I got one ) have soldering spots for the speaker on the board, no more messed up wires or speaker directly wired to the decoder. Custom installation and modifications are becoming way easier now :)

Br

Leif
  • BR42BR42 Auburn
    Leif and Gord,

You are right, but some backwards compatibility would be nice.  I solved the problem with some soldering.  The V200.0 from Piko is a great model, it runs much smoother than I expected.

Ulrich

BR422014-03-20 19:52:32