Planning new Euro Layout - as yet unnamed

2»

Comments

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Gordon:

Love it, great job.

Ulrich

• el Gato Gordoel Gato Gordo Colorado Spring

Thanks, Ulrich! I'll post some more updates and details later. Meanwhile I'm waiting for another bag of ballast from Arizona Rock and Mineral, and the Swiss H profile masts from Sommerfeldt. Just 5 more feet in a 5 track Bahnhof to ballast, then that job is done.

• BR42BR42 Auburn

Hi Gordon:

Of all the jobs related to model railroading, ballasting is my least favorite.

Ulrich

For me, also. But using real rock, like from AR&M, is far easier than the walnut shells used by Woodland Scenics.

Thanks, MichaelE !
    Posting a few more details of the layout, in reverse order of accomplishment. Here is the Victorinox store, with a Swiss Army Knife display sign hanging out front. Next door is the Bäckerei, named after a famous baker - my wife!

A better view of the Bäckerei, and of the Modelleisenbahn shop next door - named after me - and of the restaurant on the corner, named after my wife's family:

None of these buildings are actually on the Bahnhofplatz at Interlaken Ost - but I liked the flavor better than the modern structures. Since I am not trying to replicate that Bahnhof, I renamed it Interloafin' Ost.

That's all for now. Need to get to the YMCA to work off the weekend's beer!

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

That portable layout looks fantastic. Love the cable car system. Last year I created an Analog Noch layout 'Mittenwald' is was planning to bring to a 1 day show... it is 4 x 7 feet, on 2 carts and I can load it in and out of my small cargo trailer by myself. The pandemic shut down all train shows and that was the first show that was canceled. Now, that layout is tucked in the garage and blocked in by the cargo trailer. Very nice work on the tour boat. I have a faller model but I like the sharper bow on your model.

Mitch

Thanks, Mitchell! I've been traveling to train shows with my Rheinland-Bayern Bahn layout (4'x9.5', also on wheels) since September, 2015. Next year I can alternate between that and this new Alpenbahn layout.

There are many pushbuttons for kids at shows to activate scenes like the house fire and carnival, á la MiWuLa.

Sorry about the next pic. It was an accident and I couldn't figure out how to delete it.

• MitchMitch Kent, WA

I like the idea of push buttons for kids... At one show I had a Marklin crane connected to a joystick and button to control the spreader bar for containers and I let kids try to load/unload containers... It was a hit!

Are the planes real or RC models?

Mitch

Great idea, Mitch. How did you do that? Obviously in HO scale, but a very interesting idea.

The planes are real, from an airshow a couple of years ago.

• RailwriterRailwriter Durham, NC

Hello Gordon,

Good to see you back here after a long absence. Always nice to see your work and learn about your experiences.

-- Ernest

• Magnificent work. It must really be a "must see" at the shows.